Tivo box.
COMET65
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can I use a Tivo box with my verizon Fios TV service?

0 Likes
Re: Tivo box.
MCL12
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same question, it seems when I was asked to upgrade my DVR, they told me it was exactly like the previous model except better because it had larger capacity on the HD, however they "forgot" to mention that unlike the previous model you cannot transfer anything to make a copy

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Absolutely.

You will have to renat a cable card.

And you wont have access to any Verizon on demand.

MCL12
Enthusiast - Level 2

very frustrusting to say the least

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MCL1 wrote:

very frustrusting to say the least

I assume you mean restriction on copying?

I beleive that is at the request of the content providers.

And I beleive that is true of other providers as well.

Not sure how TiVO gets away with it other than they have no contracts with the content providers.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.

This is exactly what I do.   I have a Tivo Roamio (you can also use the newer Tivo Bolt).  You need the version which is CableCard / Digital TV Ready, not the Over-the-air version they also sell.

You get a CabelCard (M-card) from Verizon ($4.99/month) and it installs into the Tivo main unit.   The Tivo boxes all support MoCA so it will function as a plug-in replacement for a standard Verizon DVR (noting that you need to continue to use the Verizon router provisioned onto the Coax unless you understand some networking basics and are comfortable with setting up your own MoCA bridge).

The other TV's in your home can then each be connected to a Tivo Remote box which can either be connected via ethernet cable or coax to your local network.  Wireless is not possible (insufficient bandwidth) although PowerLine and other connectivity solutions have been reported to work.

And yes, you can copy shows from your TiVO to your PC.   I use "kmttg" and associated tools to pull shows off my TiVO, decrypt them, and re-encode them into a more compressed format.    This show technically be possible with the Verizon DVR's but they have no motivation to permit it.

You can't copy all shows.  Some channels do put copy protection on the show (HBO routinely does this) and in such instances, the TiVO box won't let you copy it.  In my experience however, few channels do this -- and I routinely use it to store series from network TV that I want to watch, but don't want to leave crowding my DVR storage until I can get around to it.

Incidently, you can also check into Plex.   If you install this on your PC and put the Tivo shows you download into the Plex library, you can run the Plex client on your Tivo box and stream them back to your TV when you want to watch them.

0 Likes