Trying to connect dvd player to new HDTV through the DVR
mjack1

Can this be done?  I'm trying to connect a dvd player ("Toshiba DVD Video Player SD-K620")  to a new tv ("Westinghouse LD-3255VX") but I want it to go through the Verizon DVR box ("Motorola QIP72322") not directly from the dvd to the tv.  The tv is mounted on the wall so I don't want multiple cables hanging done.  I had no problem connecting it this way with the old tv.  I've got the cables I used previously (RCA 3-prongs style) and the new tv also came with a couple of cables (VGA-Component cable and mini RCA cable).  I've tried all the possible connection options I can think of but the tv still says "no signal".  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Trying to connect dvd player to new HDTV through the DVR
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

No.  The Verizon DVR (or any of their boxes) DOES NOT HAVE ANY INPUTS THAT ARE ACTIVE.

Please use search iun thfuture as this question has been asked many times before, or you could do the unthinkable - READ THE MANUAL Smiley Wink.

0 Likes
mjack1

Thanks for the reply...as for the reprimand, I DID actually spend hours/days searching the manuals and trying to search out a solution on both the Verizon website and the internet in general.  Your answer (that it can't be done) is hard to buy since I have another tv where the dvd is connected through the DVR and functioning fine.  The new tv's manual also seems to indicate that it can be done.  That's why I tried to be very specific with the brands of tv, dvd, and verizon box that I'm trying to tether together.  Still, you took the time to reply, so thanks.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The suggestion for search was for this specific forum and I did not intend it as a reprimand, only a suggestion.  I have had FiOS TV for 4 years and believe me that the Verizon boxes do not have any active video inputs (unless Verizon has added that option for the 7232 which I admit I have not had one to play with).  The only suggestion I could make is duplicate the connections on the working one and hopefully that will work for you.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The verizon box doesn't have to have inputs to connect a VCR or DVD player.  the Verizon Box has outputs and the VCR has the inputs.

So on the verizon box use the component outputs and the RCA outputs and plug them into the Component Inputs on the Toshiba player, and then you'll need a second set of component and rca cables to go from the toshiba player OUT to the TV set's component and RCA INputs.

It might not have component video inputs on the back of the toshiba, I can't find a manual for it online so you may have to settle for plugging it in with s video or RCA's the whole way through.

does the toshiba have component input and component output. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are limited to the low resolution of a composite video and can't replace the cabling and TV with an HMDI capable device, then get an A/V video selector device (they have manual and automatic devices) which will allow you to switch between the STB and the DVD player video sources.   The automatic devices have a signal sensing technology in them that if you connect the STB and DVD player to the right inputs will prioritize the signal from the DVD player such that whenever it's turned on, it will switch to that input and route it to the TV.

Here's an example of such a device:

http://www.amazon.com/Arista-Automatic-Selector/dp/B00008NJEF/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=...

The manual switches are cheaper, but you have to push a button to select which video source gets routed to the TV.   

The selector box gets connected at the end of the cable nearest the STB and DVD player with the single output running over the cables you have installed to the TV.

0 Likes