Trying to use optical audio
dwdod1

I have a DVR (slave) connected to a computer monitor as HDMI-2. My computer is connected to this monitor as HDMI-1. When I try to watch TV on this monitor (HDMI-2), video is fine but the only sound I obtain is through the puny speakers built into the monitor. I want to be able to use the surround sound speakers connected to the computer. So, I've attempted to use the optical audio plug on the back of the DVR unit. The sound card in my computer has optical audio in and out ports. I connected a plug from the optical audio plug on the DVR unit to the optical audio "in" plug on the sound card. However it isn't working. The only sound I get continues to come from the tiny speakers inside the monitor.

Can anyone offer me advise how I can get the TV connected to HDMI-2 to use the speakers connected to the computer?

Thank you very kindly.

David

0 Likes
Re: Set top Box connection to a Computer Monitor
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a sound input to your PC?

If so, you can use audio output of STB to input to computer and then play from there.

You would be looking for a line in connection.

0 Likes
Re: Trying to use optical audio
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Optical audio out is enabled by default on the Verizon boxes.  In fact, I don't think it can be turned off.

You most likely need to adjust a setting in your computer to make it use the optical audio input.  It may be a simple as a volume slider.  The exact procedure depends on your operating system, sound card and sound card driver.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
dwdod1

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have not found anywhere that lets me configure the optical audio input on the computer. This is a Sound Blaster Z sound card in a PC running Windows 7. Any additional suggestions would be most appreciated.

David 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry, I don't know anything about Soundblaster cards.  Have you tried their documentation, their forums, or Google?

Good Luck.

0 Likes