Trying to use the digital optical connection on qip6400
OldManDD

I connected the optical port to my surround sound system input, but I do not get any sound, I do get red light. Do I need to enable something to activate this port or is there a way to verify it is working?

I am using the QIP6416-2 and connecting to a Panosonic SCBT230. The only input to the AV is fiber optic cable. I get no sound at all. Any help?

0 Likes
Re: Trying to use the digital optical connection on qip6400
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Hi OldManDD,

Sorry you're having trouble with your optical sound. Our set top boxes come wtih the optical out enabled automatically so if there is anything you need to activate, it would be on the surround system. It could be as simple as a source change on the sound system. It's also possible that if you have another audio source connected at the same time, only 1 will work. There could also be an issue with the cable or port on the stb or on the sound system.  One way to test is to try it with another hd box if you have one or try the cable on a different system. I suggest you check the manual for the surround sound system first though. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could be the surround system is not understanding the encoding being used by the STB for the audio.   Try changing the output format on the STB (from the front panel of the STB with the power ON -- press in order at about 1/2 second intervals -- power, select, menu -- after a brief pause, the TV should display a user configuration menu -- find the audio output format -- think it's on the second page and try changing it from Auto to PCM or Direct).

0 Likes
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi OldManDD,

I also think that you simply need to change the input source on the surround system and there is no need to play with the settings on the box.

0 Likes