Two TV's close to each other -Picture & sound not synchronized
tony44021

We have a TV in the kitchen and another in the Living Room right next door.  Many times we have both on as one of us is cooking and the other is lounging in the LR.  Sometimes when we have both TV's on the same channel, the picture and sound are not synchronized (the programming on the LR TV is a little behind the kitchen TV).  The LR TV is the DVR for our whole home DVR system.  I've tried to FF on the LR box, turning the TV off and on, changing channels then going back, but nothing seems to work.  Then the next morning when we turn on the TV it has fixed itself.

Is there anyway to synchronize the programming when this happens?  Thanks.....

0 Likes
Re: Two TV's - not synchronized
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@tony4402 wrote:

We have a TV in the kitchen and another in the Living Room right next door ... when we have both TV's on the same channel, the picture and sound are not synchronized  ... Is there anyway to synchronize the programming when this happens? ...

In short, no.  You probably already know this is not a Verizon thing.  In digital signal transmission and processing, data is processed in different ways by different devices.  This means each device adds delays based on the architecture of its own signal processing circuits, and there's little if anything that can be done to remedy the situation in a practical and cost-effective manner (money-is-no-object solutions are available).  I assume it's not practical to change out your equipment so that identical TVs, STBs, wiring, splitters, etc. are used on the network, but even if this were possible it would not guarantee synchronization.

BTW we have a similar proximity problem, and my wife is threatening to send me back out into the labor force so she can have some peaceful viewing.  Fortunately for me, I'm unemployable.
0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@tony4402 wrote:

We have a TV in the kitchen and another in the Living Room right next door ... when we have both TV's on the same channel, the picture and sound are not synchronized  ... Is there anyway to synchronize the programming when this happens? ...

In short, no.  You probably already know this is not a Verizon thing.  In digital signal transmission and processing, data is processed in different ways by different devices.  This means each device adds delays based on the architecture of its own signal processing circuits, and there's little if anything that can be done to remedy the situation in a practical and cost-effective manner (money-is-no-object solutions are available).  I assume it's not practical to change out your equipment so that identical TVs, STBs, wiring, splitters, etc. are used on the network, but even if this were possible it would not guarantee synchronization.

BTW we have a similar proximity problem, and my wife is threatening to send me back out into the labor force so she can have some peaceful viewing.  Fortunately for me, I'm unemployable.

FYI, it's not just a processing result, it also can relate to buffering (assuming the STB is a DVR).

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Sometimes, if you hit the FIOS TV BUTTON then it will sync the boxes together.  assuming one has a dvr and a buffer 

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@PJL wrote:

@armond_in_nj wrote:
.. data is processed in different ways by different devices.  This means each device adds delays based on the architecture of its own signal processing circuits, and there's little if anything that can be done to remedy the situation ...

FYI, it's not just a processing result, it also can relate to buffering (assuming the STB is a DVR).

Thanks for the clarification.  I had implicitly included signal processing done by any device (including the STBs) in my post, but it's good and useful to separate the effects that must be taken into account.  Having made the clarification more apparent, I'm next led to wonder if delays related to STB buffering will be identical, if the boxes themselves are identical, all else being equal (which it rarely is).

0 Likes