USB Port on QIP2500-3
rzeolla

What is the function of of the USB port on the back of the QIP2500-3 set top box?  I am struggling with wireless network reception in my home.  The Verizon router is in the basement and my office is on the second floor.  My wireless signal is weak.  Is there any way I can leverage the coax cable and/or the set top boxes (USB?) that I have in various locations throughtout the house? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: USB Port on QIP2500-3
prisaz
Legend

The USB port serves no function and is not active on the Set Top Box.

Although some have reported that the 5vdc may be active and can be used for charging USB devices. I have a couple of the same boxes and have not tried it.

I have an Actiontec router in my basement and have a "Good" signal on the top floor. You may wish to try manually setting the different wireless channels in the router's wireless setting. You may fin one of them

0 Likes
Re: USB Port on QIP2500-3
Justin46
Legend

@rzeolla wrote:

What is the function of of the USB port on the back of the QIP2500-3 set top box?  I am struggling with wireless network reception in my home.  The Verizon router is in the basement and my office is on the second floor.  My wireless signal is weak.  Is there any way I can leverage the coax cable and/or the set top boxes (USB?) that I have in various locations throughtout the house? Thanks.

Yes to the bolded question. Here is a diagram of my FiOS installation:

If you look at the dotted box in the upper right, I have a splitter and a Motorola NIM-100 that I use to access the internet from a PC over the coax. You cannot buy a NIM from Verizon or Motorola, but I know in the past that they have been available on eBay. You can also use an Actiontec router to accomplish this, those can also be found on eBay. Will cost you some money, but it works.....

It is necessary to use the splitter (bi-directional) wit the NIM so that the Guide, VOD, and Widgets will work on the STB, because the NIM itself will not pass the necessary signals from the STB back to the router.

I have been using this setup for a couple of years, works well.

Keller, TX 76248