USING FIOS WITHOUT STB
dougsan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in the process of removing three TV's from my fios account.  Is there a way to use fios, legally, to get just local stations (5 as apposed to 505, etc.) without anything but the fios cable router (not STB).  I have tried a number of in-house antennas to no available save for ugly rabbit ear type (the flat antenna being raved abut on the net doesn't work on any of my TVs - and I can see the broadcasting antennas from my windows),.  All the TVs are currently hard-wired to fios router.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: USING FIOS WITHOUT STB
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. As long as the TV has a QAM tuner which most newer HDTVs do. Take the cable from the FiOS box and plug it into the coaxial input on the back of the TV. 
Next you will have to do a channel scan using the TV provided remote. It will take a while, about 30 minutes. After it goes through there will be alot of channels. Most will be FiOS ads or black screens, but most TVs will allow you to edit those channels out. You will only get local channels. Channel 5 will be 5.1 for example.

You could also use a streaming device as clem suggested. 

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Do the channels you want to watch have apps for Roku or Firestick, or have you thought of trying YouTube TV, Sling, or one of the other streaming services? You wont be able to use the cable from the router like the old analog cables with your TVs tuner.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. As long as the TV has a QAM tuner which most newer HDTVs do. Take the cable from the FiOS box and plug it into the coaxial input on the back of the TV. 
Next you will have to do a channel scan using the TV provided remote. It will take a while, about 30 minutes. After it goes through there will be alot of channels. Most will be FiOS ads or black screens, but most TVs will allow you to edit those channels out. You will only get local channels. Channel 5 will be 5.1 for example.

You could also use a streaming device as clem suggested. 

dougsan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just finished rying this and it worked very well!  Thanks for the information.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This thread will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes