USING FIOS WITHOUT STB

USING FIOS WITHOUT STB

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(657 Views)

I am in the process of removing three TV's from my fios account.  Is there a way to use fios, legally, to get just local stations (5 as apposed to 505, etc.) without anything but the fios cable router (not STB).  I have tried a number of in-house antennas to no available save for ugly rabbit ear type (the flat antenna being raved abut on the net doesn't work on any of my TVs - and I can see the broadcasting antennas from my windows),.  All the TVs are currently hard-wired to fios router.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Silver Contributor V Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Message 2 of 4
(635 Views)

Do the channels you want to watch have apps for Roku or Firestick, or have you thought of trying YouTube TV, Sling, or one of the other streaming services? You wont be able to use the cable from the router like the old analog cables with your TVs tuner.

MVP MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4
(611 Views)

Yes. As long as the TV has a QAM tuner which most newer HDTVs do. Take the cable from the FiOS box and plug it into the coaxial input on the back of the TV. 
Next you will have to do a channel scan using the TV provided remote. It will take a while, about 30 minutes. After it goes through there will be alot of channels. Most will be FiOS ads or black screens, but most TVs will allow you to edit those channels out. You will only get local channels. Channel 5 will be 5.1 for example.

You could also use a streaming device as clem suggested. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 4 of 4
(459 Views)

Just finished rying this and it worked very well!  Thanks for the information.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.