Unable to control DVR via web browser
njmacuser1

I am unable to control my DVR via a web browser.  I've been reading through the forums and am unable to find a solution.  I sent the remote DVR activation request, and received the remote DVR activation complete email from Verizon.  This was back in December of 2011 - I remember that I could view my DVR contents back then.  Now, whenever I attempt to view my DVR via the web, I get a Bad Gateway or Set-Top Box not responding message.  I also see that the status of the set-top box on my account is "This Set-Top Box is Not Activated".  I have read that others have this, but still able to remotely control the DVR.

I have rebooted the router, rebooted the set top box, run the self-diagnostics, observed that Listener 1 was started... nothing solves the problem.  I called customer support and got nowhere.

I also can't control the DVR via an Android phone, but I'll tackle that issue after I can control via the web.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to control DVR via web browser
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

You should contact Verizon customer service (I recommend using Live Chat), and ask them to reset the port mapping on your ActionTec router so that the Remote DVR function will work again.

Use the exact words "port mapping" and "Remote DVR".

They'll have it fixed up in just a few moments.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

You should contact Verizon customer service (I recommend using Live Chat), and ask them to reset the port mapping on your ActionTec router so that the Remote DVR function will work again.

Use the exact words "port mapping" and "Remote DVR".

They'll have it fixed up in just a few moments.

0 Likes
njmacuser1

Thank you for that suggestion.  At the end of the live chat, I still couldn't control the DVR via the web.  The representative escalated the issue to the web remote DVR department, and they will have to call me back during the week.  After the chat, I tried running the self-diagnostic on the set-top box.  That made a difference - I can now control the DVR via the web and my Android phone.  The representative did reset the port mapping, which must have enabled the remote DVR control from web and phone.

0 Likes
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

@njmacuser wrote:

Thank you for that suggestion.  At the end of the live chat, I still couldn't control the DVR via the web.  The representative escalated the issue to the web remote DVR department, and they will have to call me back during the week.  After the chat, I tried running the self-diagnostic on the set-top box.  That made a difference - I can now control the DVR via the web and my Android phone.  The representative did reset the port mapping, which must have enabled the remote DVR control from web and phone.

Yeah, with Remote DVR, the "Bad Gateway" message is essentially a different way of saying that the required port mappings that make the Remote DVR work are missing, disabled or corrupted. Verizon can fix that, but in my experience, if you don't use the magic words "port mapping", it can be very difficult for them to figure out the correct solution.

Glad you got it all sorted out.

0 Likes