Unable to use Chromecast with Fios TV app to play DVR recordings or live TV
question4u
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Chromecast unit is properly configured on my phone and both ot them are successfully connected to my Fios router WiFi.  I launch the Fios TV app on my phone and select "My Stuff".  I then select one of my recorded programs and select the "Play on..." button, but it automatically started playing the recording on my TV where my Fios DVR/Receiver is connect to instead of offering me the option to select my Chromecast unit.  I even tried selecting a Live TV program and it did the same thing.

How can I get the Fios TV app to recognized my Chromecast unit and to play my DVR recordings or Live TV?

Yes, the Fios TV app recognizes my phone as being a registered device.

Re: Unable to use Chromecast with Fios TV app to play DVR recordings or live TV
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader
The FiOS TV app doesn't support Chromecast. It also doesn't support Airplay on Apple TV. They would rather you have a set-top box.
lxf12
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a terrible restriction. I upgraded to multi room DVR and Gigabit Connection thinking I could stream my DVR when traveling away from home which I often do because of work. After agreeing to paying $170 a month I learn this is only possible for me on my iPhone X screen but if I use an HDMI adapter to stream to a hotel TV it is locked out. Very upset I’m paying all this money a month to watch soccer on a 4.7 inch screen. Seems they could detect when I’m not connected to my home Fios WiFi and allow this phone feature but lock it out when I’m home so I don’t cheat them another $10 a month to rent equipment I don’t need.

cycy1

Whenever your not home, and are able to use chromecast, try mirroring your phone screen to chromcast and then play the verizon app. i do it at home all the time

0 Likes
lxf12
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do too but the issue isn't using the app but using the app to play DVR recordings. This is locked out with chormecast and airplay. This means when I'm not home and I want to watch a sports game I've recorded I'm forced to watch on either a tablet or phone instead of a TV which I'd greatly prefer. I can't really enjoy sports on my phone screen. Not sure why this is restricted even. Seems like fair use I should be able to watch shows I've recorded this way.

0 Likes
cycy1

Well you can connect a chromecast anywhere as long as theres wifi and you have access to the password, and then still use screen mirror.  Now if your at a hotel or something and dont have access to the password, then thats somewthing else. Sometimes you cant always have it all the way you want it, but i get it

0 Likes
lxf12
Enthusiast - Level 2

You don't understand my issue. It's locked out when trying to stream DVR content. Can only watch streaming DVR content on device. Can't use chormecast to stream DVR content. If anyone can please let me know.

0 Likes
Seabiscuit11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have the same problem with my Samsung 9+. So I  rebooted router and dvr box and added wife's Samsung 9+ for the first time as a  registered device and her phone works. Meaning away from home using wifi I can access dvr recordings and watch them on TV using the original first chromecast.  My phone however still does not work. I will try deleting my phone from  the registered devices and then re-registering my device. But browsing content with my wife's phone via the guide on the app that displays the word  "watch" will display the video on my phone and audio on the TV. That I believe is the fault of an older generation chromecast. I will buy a newer chromecast and see if that helps.

lxf12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon has admitted DVR streaming is locked out when using airplay or chromecast. They intend for users only to be able to watch on phones and pads. Not TV's unless at home using a TV connected directly to the FIOS DVR recorder or a TV extender box from FIOS.  I strongly believe Verizon should stop this practice and allow users to watch things they've recorded like sports whie away from their home and not restrict it to a small screan like an ipad or android phone. Anyone who can still figure away around this are doing so despite Verzion attempts and I congratualte you.

0 Likes
CK07601

Cable companies restrict this option out of total greed. They want you to rent another box at a crazy price. 
I had Verizon FiOS and was paying almost $300 a month for 2 boxes & DVR service. Being a lifetime customer you’d think they’d do better but their greed will bite them in the butt if it hasn’t started already.

0 Likes