Re: Unable to watch live TV or OnDemand with FiOS TV app since update 05/20
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader
mcd7399
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally someone that could help!!!!!!!! I uninstalled version 3.0.2, deleted the associated files, and then installed version 2.5 which was from Nov 20, 2019. That's just 7 months ago.       IT WORKED !!!!       Live TV and OnDemand are back working !!!

To anyone with this problem go to site in the last message.

Why wouldn't Verizon just point me here from the beginning ????

Thanks

0 Likes
mcd7399
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon has now killed v2.5 of the FiOS TV app by requiring download of the current version which doesn't work for me. Why can't they leave us with working systems alone? Version 2.5 from Nov 2019 works!!!!! After downloading the current version and finding it doesn't work, I tried to re-install version 2.5 again but was sent back to the unsupported page requiring download of the current version. How do we get around this problem?

0 Likes
mcd7399
Enthusiast - Level 3

I want to be clear. The latest version of the app is v3.5 that doesn't work for me. Version 2.5 works just fine for me. But Verizon will not let me continue to use a working version, instead when you start the app, the app goes to the no longer supported page requiring update. This is what someone needs to help me with - bypassing the no longer support page and allow me to use version 2.5 !!!!!!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mcd7399 wrote:

I want to be clear. The latest version of the app is v3.5 that doesn't work for me. Version 2.5 works just fine for me. But Verizon will not let me continue to use a working version, instead when you start the app, the app goes to the no longer supported page requiring update. This is what someone needs to help me with - bypassing the no longer support page and allow me to use version 2.5 !!!!!!

Unfortunately technology marches on. I don't know of any way you can get around the new problem, unless a future update works somehow.  You are just going to have to use the browser instead of the app. They update it to take advantage of the newest OS, sometimes removing compatibility with older OS just like Apple and Microsoft. At least it still works with your browser.

mcd7399
Enthusiast - Level 3

i have said this before but worth repeating, it is OK in this community and by extension Verizon to take a users working system and require an upgrade that causes the system to NO longer work. Do we live in upside down land in this community too ?????

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mcd7399 wrote:

i have said this before but worth repeating, it is OK in this community and by extension Verizon to take a users working system and require an upgrade that causes the system to NO longer work. Do we live in upside down land in this community too ?????

Sorry you took my response wrong, I never said I approve of obsolescence,  just it is common practice now. Verizon isn't alone in this, problem is users want all kinds of new options, many of which aren't compatible with older OSes. That's what we have here. It **bleep**, but it was going to happen eventually, like my first gen iPad being rendered obsolete by Apple after 3 years of use. Mechanically still fine, but can't use any of the apps anymore without getting update messages and errors. At least you can still use the browser to access programming.

mcd7399
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I wanted all the new bells and whistles and my "obsolete" system did not support these things then I would agree. But that is NOT the case. I was just fine with a working version 2.5 as is with any limitations. What I am NOT ok with is the requirement to upgrade to a version that does NOT work and there is NO WAY to be left alone with a working system !!!!! Don't support the old version - OK, but do NOT force my system to NO longer work by requiring an upgrade. I have a laptop with Windows 7 that still works. Microsoft didn't force me to upgrade to Windows 10. They just do not offer any support - fine. My laptop still works !!!!! Verizon forces upgrade into a NON working state. This is WRONG !!!! And the community needs to get Verizon to change this policy - NOW !!!!

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mcd7399 wrote:

If I wanted all the new bells and whistles and my "obsolete" system did not support these things then I would agree. But that is NOT the case. I was just fine with a working version 2.5 as is with any limitations. What I am NOT ok with is the requirement to upgrade to a version that does NOT work and there is NO WAY to be left alone with a working system !!!!! Don't support the old version - OK, but do NOT force my system to NO longer work by requiring an upgrade. I have a laptop with Windows 7 that still works. Microsoft didn't force me to upgrade to Windows 10. They just do not offer any support - fine. My laptop still works !!!!! Verizon forces upgrade into a NON working state. This is WRONG !!!! And the community needs to get Verizon to change this policy - NOW !!!!

Yep, your Win7 machine still works, so does my WinXP machine, but there are several programs I can't use anymore because they have been updated to Win10 architecture and are no longer supported. You get the same error, you need to update,, but can't because of the OS. It stinks, but is common in the digital world. Whether you want the latest bells and whistles is irrelevant, the change is what the majority wanted, so it stands. There has to be some reason the new app can't co-exist with the old one or they wouldn't have broken the functionality. You need to ask google why they changed the Android architecture to be incompatible with your hardware, that is the real root problem here. If you could update Android, you'd be fine.

mcd7399
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have actual proof you are wrong when you say there must be a reason why the old version couldn't co-exist with the new version or they would not break the link. Version 3.5 was released on November 5, 2020. FiOS broke the link, meaning forced upgrade on approx. November 17, 2020. My system worked with version 2.5 UNTIL FiOS required the forced upgrade !!!! That is approximately 12 Days of overlap that I have proof they could co-exist. You have NO proof of your statement, period !!!!! Supposition without proof should stop. Instead the community should work to convince FiOS to un-block the forced upgrade requirement and let those of us with formerly working systems to get back to that state. To continue to debate without proof is counter productive. PROVE me wrong by removing the required forced upgrade !!!!

0 Likes