Re: Unavailable Channels "Currently Unavailable"
samhouch

I've had spontaneous "currently unavailable" messages for the past 5 days, and finally got fed up and called tech support, as it was not going away on its own, only getting worse.  I then saw that there were thousands of people reading about the same problem on this forum.  I tried disconnecting, and reconnecting the coax cable, but it was no help.  The Tech support did their thing, reset it, checked it for errors.  No errors found.  Seems to be working so far after being reset.  He suggested the following routine to try on my own if (when) it happens again:

Remote button "Menu"

Settings > System Info

with remote, enter 4883

OK

unplug Set Top Box.  I forget how long he said to leave it unplugged, but I've read 30 seconds elsewhere.

He says that with use, the set top box's memory gets cluttered and this process clears and resets it, without loss of recordings.  I have the buggy 7216 1, working under release 1.6, build 0689.  I've had FIOS since 11/08, and no serious problems until recently.  I've only recently begun recording shows and series... I wonder if that's related.  A domino effect of the "currently unavailable" issue is that it prevents recordings, when they're affected by the same issue resulting in 6 to 8 sec. recordings.

We'll see how long this fix lasts.  The tech said the firmware update was due here in VA end of Jan or into Feb.

0 Likes
Hanabet
I have to agree that customer service for the most part are rude.  Had a problem with "channels currently unavailable;" first rep just sounded like he was reading off a card even though we tried to explain we did not have the equipment he was talking about.  After 3 different calls, finally some one who seemed to know what was going on, the rep even asked why they didn't try resetting the box.  I have had the same bad service with the phone and internet.  We just tried to install a 3rd room for tv explained everything to the rep who said no problem and no cost since the original install was for 3 tvs, but low and behold on receiving the box major problems, needless to say we cancelled that 3rd box.  One rep will say one thing and another will say something else; makes me think they do not have it together. 
0 Likes
JBR

Just got moff the phone withCS. I have experienced this problem since installation in Sept.

I to am tired of having to rebbot.

Picture is always noisy too

0 Likes
SamRay
Enthusiast - Level 2
We have been told that the problem will be fixed in an update scheduled for April 14 in our area and that other areas such as NJ will get the update April 7 as I recall.
0 Likes
SamRay
Enthusiast - Level 2
It is now more than a couple of weeks past that date. We got our service installed in mid February and we have had a technician out to improve the signal yet we still have the problem.
0 Likes
SamRay
Enthusiast - Level 2
We have just one splitter installed by Verizon and Verizon tested the cables. They came out once more to check everything. Now after having the problem nearly every day since we got the service, a Verizon customer support person says it is a problem with the Motorola software. Are you sure it is "definitely a signalling issue"?
0 Likes
SamRay
Enthusiast - Level 2

You seem to be familiar with all this, but are you sure that what you are saying is accurate or are you guessing? If use of component cables is a useful workaround, then Verizon needs to tell people that it is. Currently we are being told it is a bug in the Motorola software.

{You have received information in your private message box -- > . It should be gold. Please Read.}
Message Edited by KaLin on 03-21-2009 01:21 PM
0 Likes
SamRay
Enthusiast - Level 2
I hope your experiences have been enlightened by now. We are told it is a bug in the Motorola software. Can you confirm that? If it is a bug, then why does it take so long to get a fix? Why can't the fix get released sooner? I am a programmer and I know the value of being methodical and accurate but it seems that four months is a long time for such a critical and relatively isolated fix. Or is the problem that it took a couple of months before Verizon people such as you realized that it really is a problem that needs to be fixed?
0 Likes
gene1802
Enthusiast - Level 3
did this routine of pressing Menu and putting in '4883', etc. work for you? Thanks.
0 Likes