Use Ethernet instead of coax for the Verizon Media Client (IPC1100)?
logicalprogress

Have heard conflicting things about whether the Ethernet port on the IPC1100 can be used without Coax. House is wired for 1 GbE Cat6 including the ONT to the MI424-WR Rev I router. Coax runs to the router, Verizon Media Server and an existing Verizon Media Client. Would like to add another TV and Media Client where a Cat6 Ethernet jack is located (but not coax).

Verizon FiOS Tech Support just told me that coax is required. Tried out Cat6 Ethernet and only the guide worked on the Media Client - no video until the coax was plugged in. Even tried an ActionTec MoCA to Ethernet bridge to see if that would provide me with a workaround but again, only the guide worked.

Anyone out there know of a way around this? Was hoping there might be a setting on the IPC1100 to force it to use Ethernet for video as well.

0 Likes
Re: Use Ethernet instead of coax for the Verizon Media Client (IPC1100)?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The clients are suppose to be able to use coax or ethernet as long as the router is Rev I and coax connects from the router to the rest of the coax in the house.

0 Likes
logicalprogress

The MI424WR GigE Router (red strip) is Rev I and coax runs between it, the Media Server, and Media Client. I've even tested the MoCA using an ActionTec Ethernet MoCA Bridge. Still, the Verizon Media Client appears to not be able to operate on Ethernet alone.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Hook up a laptop and see if you get a good IP address. If you do get a good IP address run the Verizon speed test.

0 Likes
logicalprogress

Checked that before connecting the Verizon Media Client via Ethernet. Got a 1 GbE link to my laptop with an IP in the proper subnet. Verizon FiOS Speed test got 84 Mbps down and 81 Mbps up.

Hoping to find someone who found a way to get the Verizon Media Client working on Ethernet alone.

0 Likes
dshides

Has anyone heard anything further on whether just ethernet can be used for a VMC? I have a location (kitchen) that is serviced only by ethernet and installing coax would require quite a bit of wall demo to install. 

Hoping there is some positive news on using ethernet or VZ opening up to allow for WiFi connections to a VMC. (Note that I currently do not have Quantum TV but would order on the spot if this would solve my issue)

Thanks!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The VMC required coax.

But you can put it on any coax outlet you have.

You can then put an IPC in your kitchen and run coax it it.

0 Likes
bosceltics
Enthusiast - Level 2

just connected the media via ethernet connection . works fine

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just not a guaranteed solution.

If you start having any issues, Verion may not be helpful in diagnosing issue.

0 Likes
tw33k1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The IPC1100 works fine for me on ethernet alone. I seemed to have an issue with the coax run on one of my tv's, so I used ethernet and it works perfectly.

0 Likes