Using my own HD set top box (TiVo or others) ...
ChuckSplash

For one of my TVs which I don't watch very often, I am going to get my own HD set top box rather than renting the Verizon box. I understand that by renting a multistream CableCard (M-Card) for $4/month, I should be able to receive FiOS TV programming minus the VOD, program guide, and other interactive features.

My question now is which third-party set top box to purchase:

- TiVo sounds like the most popular choice of many FiOS customers, but does a TiVo device work at all if I don't pay for TiVo subscription? I am not interested in DVR service at all.

- If TiVo does not work without me paying for the monthly TiVo subscription, what other devices could work with FiOS TV?

- Is it enough that such third-party device is "CableCARD Compatible"?

- Anyone tried Motorola's DCT or DCH series set top boxes which also take M-Card?

Thanks! -C

0 Likes
Re: Using my own HD set top box (TiVo or others) ...
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The silicon dust hd homerun prime's are pretty nice and they don't require a monthly.   They dropped in price recently too, and have a nice slick interface,  if I were buying, I would buy one myself. 

0 Likes
Re: Using my own HD set top box (TiVo or others) ...
Oenomel1

Just bought one.

Minor struggle during activation.  But it worked.

And then after I called about one of my STB that was failing.....cablecard started telling me I wasn't subscribed again.

I suspect it needs to be bounced & re-programmed.  Unfortunately online chat is not available....the rest is such a hassle.

and one more FYI for potential buyers.

It seems that cablecard devices DO NOT appear visible to the in home agent (automated trouble shooting)

Which I find odd.....seeing as how my last two replacement boxes are motorola boxes with a cablecard installed.

I'm still trying though....HD Homerun Prime 139.99.  3 tuners and all the HD space you can afford.
I was planning on expanding through WMC and Xbox extenders......we'll see how long it takes my first one to get working....

0 Likes