Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Using my own HD set top box (TiVo or others) ...

ChuckSplash
Contributor
Contributor

Using my own HD set top box (TiVo or others) ...

Message 1 of 3
(2,050 Views)

For one of my TVs which I don't watch very often, I am going to get my own HD set top box rather than renting the Verizon box. I understand that by renting a multistream CableCard (M-Card) for $4/month, I should be able to receive FiOS TV programming minus the VOD, program guide, and other interactive features.

My question now is which third-party set top box to purchase:

- TiVo sounds like the most popular choice of many FiOS customers, but does a TiVo device work at all if I don't pay for TiVo subscription? I am not interested in DVR service at all.

- If TiVo does not work without me paying for the monthly TiVo subscription, what other devices could work with FiOS TV?

- Is it enough that such third-party device is "CableCARD Compatible"?

- Anyone tried Motorola's DCT or DCH series set top boxes which also take M-Card?

Thanks! -C

2 REPLIES 2
Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Using my own HD set top box (TiVo or others) ...

Message 2 of 3
(2,005 Views)

The silicon dust hd homerun prime's are pretty nice and they don't require a monthly.   They dropped in price recently too, and have a nice slick interface,  if I were buying, I would buy one myself. 

Oenomel
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Using my own HD set top box (TiVo or others) ...

Message 3 of 3
(1,796 Views)

Just bought one.

Minor struggle during activation.  But it worked.

And then after I called about one of my STB that was failing.....cablecard started telling me I wasn't subscribed again.

I suspect it needs to be bounced & re-programmed.  Unfortunately online chat is not available....the rest is such a hassle.

and one more FYI for potential buyers.

It seems that cablecard devices DO NOT appear visible to the in home agent (automated trouble shooting)

Which I find odd.....seeing as how my last two replacement boxes are motorola boxes with a cablecard installed.

I'm still trying though....HD Homerun Prime 139.99.  3 tuners and all the HD space you can afford.
I was planning on expanding through WMC and Xbox extenders......we'll see how long it takes my first one to get working....

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.