Re: VIOS DVR CAPACITY
Hubrisnxs
Legend

www.verizon.com/fiostvcentral -> My TV -> Set Top Box -> bottom right banner ad about ur DVR > Click and fill in the info to be placed on the waiting list.     

if you signed up at the above website, they are starting to contact people for the upgrade.   if you haven't signed up at the above website, then follow the instructions and get on the list, so you can get your upgrade email

0 Likes
bevross
Contributor - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

www.verizon.com/fiostvcentral -> My TV -> Set Top Box -> bottom right banner ad about ur DVR > Click and fill in the info to be placed on the waiting list.     

if you signed up at the above website, they are starting to contact people for the upgrade.   if you haven't signed up at the above website, then follow the instructions and get on the list, so you can get your upgrade email

According to folks posting at the FIOS forum at dslreports.com, the upgrade to the Motorola 7232 500GB DVR costs $40.  When firmware 1.9 comes out that's supposed to allow attaching an external (eSata) hard drive to the 7xxx series Motorolas.  Heck, an external hard drive would cost more than $40.  So, if I get the option I think I will switch out to the 7232.  Hope that 1.9 firmware improves the look of the guide, too!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

there are some news blogs that got a sneak peak at 1.9 and it looks SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET    

a little blue though....

o_O

if you do a google image search for fios 1.9 you'll see some pics. 

0 Likes
sjmilone

Could be a difference in priorities, but I honestly don't care too much about "high quality" in my recordings, as long as the content is preserved.

I am able to easily fit 12 1/2-hr tv episodes on a single 4.7g DVD-RW, in VR mode on my older sony RDR-VX530 VCR+DVD Recorder.  It takes some onscreen editing to ID the different episodes with the DVD remote, but once it's finalized it works out fine for us.

Unfortunately, as stated before, it is only available in real-time.  I am faced with over 30 hours of recordings to be preserved, before I can schedule VZ to replace my HD box...  It has to be reset almost daily in order for the SD Boxes to see the DVR content, at those same times, cannot access VOD, and (here's a strange one...) the series manager won't stop at "Keep up to ###" episodes.  I have one series that was set to ###=14, it was up to 26 episodes before I started deleting them.

0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

"I am able to easily fit 12 1/2-hr tv episodes on a single 4.7g DVD-RW, in VR mode on my older sony RDR-VX530 VCR+DVD Recorder. "

sj-

Do know that DVD is standard def (480i/p) in a letterbox (16:9) perspective, this is much different from true HD which is 1080i/p.

DVD = SD

BluRay = HD

Why not record your programs in Standard Def?

0 Likes
sjmilone

@ToddSimons wrote:

"I am able to easily fit 12 1/2-hr tv episodes on a single 4.7g DVD-RW, in VR mode on my older sony RDR-VX530 VCR+DVD Recorder. "

sj-

Do know that DVD is standard def (480i/p) in a letterbox (16:9) perspective, this is much different from true HD which is 1080i/p.

DVD = SD

BluRay = HD

Why not record your programs in Standard Def?

I am well aware of the difference between HD v. SD, as well as DVD v. BD

Never once said in my post that I  was  recording in HD.  That wouldn't be possible on a DVD, nor when recording SD programming.  I was responding to another poster who observed they were only able to record a couple hours on a DVD.

0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

sj- sorry, I didn't see the previous threads

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just went thru replacing the DVR ... my wife had about 10 hours of programming that she wanted to keep, so it was a busy weekend recording them onto DVD/RW with my DVD recorder before we could swap the box out.  

0 Likes