VMS 1100 - Is there a firmware coming?
ChuckB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been told by some Verizon tech support folks that there is a firmware coming to the Quantum VMS 1100 that will enable the eSATA port on the back of the device.

Is this true?

I had an eSATA external hard drive on each of my Motorola QIP 7232 DVRs which I gave up when I moved to Quantum TV. They worked great!

I gave up 3TB of program storage and gained only 1TB by 'upgrading' to Quantum.

I've started to have 'buyer's remorse'. Lost 2/3 of my storage. There is an eSATA port on the VMS 1100 but it isn't activated. A firmware upgrade is necessary to fix it.

Will this happen? Or are the rumors about a firmware upgrade to fix this just a 'tease'?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VMS 1100 - Is there a firmware coming?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No plans (that I have heard of) to enable eSATA port on VMS.

Keep in mind that with legacy STB, drive was married to a particular device.

So if that STB failed, you lost everything on the external drive.

DVR was no intended for long term storage.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No plans (that I have heard of) to enable eSATA port on VMS.

Keep in mind that with legacy STB, drive was married to a particular device.

So if that STB failed, you lost everything on the external drive.

DVR was no intended for long term storage.

ChuckB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your response!

Not necessarily an answer that I like, but it seems nevertheless an informed one.

So I won't be waiting with great anticipation for the eSATA port on the VMS server to be activated by a firmware upgrade.

I suppose we're getting away from data storage on a particular device, which can fail of course, and everything is moving to that big hard disk up in the sky ("the cloud"). Which of course has its own issues ...

0 Likes
djscotec

I totally agree with you with buyers remorse. i was fine where i was in technology and was promptly asked one day if i wanted to upgrade for 10 bucks.  My first and only question was will my esata device work with the new settop box, answer was YES it will. they must have the recording of the call because everything with sales is recorded. i felt it was a bait and switch campaign. i had a 4 TB external which i used to record mass amounts of tv and i can pick and choose at my leisure, literally never running out of space. i would have never switched but i was given a promise.  I complained immediately and was told it would be in a future enhancement.  years later still no.   So back to my reply, why would verizon ever open that port back up? they charge more for more DVR space.  its exactly the ploy they did trying to entice people off of the old grandfathered unlimited wireless plan they took all the way to the FCC to change, i still love it even though i pay 109 a month. Dont hold your breath people, Esata im sure is a time of the past, i am however looking forward to the 5G technology to rollout nationwide. wireless from the pole will be a nice feature so i can strip the house of wires all together.  With Thunderbolt 3 technology rolling out to higher end devices, im sure we'll see some type of external DVR / drive using that sometime in the future at 40GB per second transfer, itll do 1 " dell 5K" screen or 2 "4K"s at 60 mhz. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is a business decision not to support esata.

It has been stated they are equivalent in storage to oither providers.

Not to mention that you couldn't depend on esata drive for long term storage anyway.

Failure of of drive or attached stb would result in loss of all recordings.

0 Likes