Re: VMS1100 External Hard Drive?
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

[quote]The reason they did not add support is that the new VMS has more storage than the old DVR.

So they felt that VMS met or exceeded what other cable providers offered for storage.[/quote]

No, the reason they didn't add support for it is so they can charge you $10/month more for the higher capacity.

If you only really have a need for one DVR, then you have to pay about $30 more to get a second DVR and upgrade to the 12-channel package ... probably all coming out to around $30/month ... just to get the same capacity I already had with my eSata drive on my 2-channel DVR.

I switched from FIOS awhile back but I'm not happy with my level of internet service with my new provider.  Lack of eSata support for Quantum is the biggest (well, really, only) hurdle to me switching back.  I have no idea how many people pay the upsell who would have otherwise just bought the lower-level service if they could have extended their capacity with an eSata drive so I have no idea what the break even is there.  But I know in my case, lack of eSata support for Quantum is costing Verizon $178/month.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually it just costs $10/month to double capacity.

And remember that if the DVR you had the eSATA drive connected to dies, you lose everything on the eSATA drive when you would get the new DVR.

0 Likes
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

No, you're buying into marketing hype (which most of us call "lies").

If I have one TV and one cable box, with the Quantum service, that price is $20 for Quantum and $7.99 for the box rental, for a total of $27.99 / month.

If I want to upgrade to the 2TB service, they don't even offer it with only one TV.  So I have to go to two TVs ($19.98) and the $30 service.  That's $49.98, or an additional $21/month.

I don't really need the second TV, but Verizon won't let me get the larger hard drive without it.

From Verizon's local competitor, I get a 2TB hard drive on my 6-channel DVR.

Verizon's website claims that my out-the-door price for the 2TB service and 50/50 internet will be $178.24.  If I drop the second TV (and thus down to a 1TB hard drive), the out-the-door price drops to $154.93.  So that's an extra $23.31 that Verizon wants for something that they made a conscious decision to prevent me from doing on my own.

Because they made that conscious decision, they are losing out on $154.93/month from me.

0 Likes
Oz

Glad I found this thread, was about to upgrade to Quantum Enhanced Service but not if I can't use my esata HDD.

Too bad, guess I will stay with my DVR with only 2 recordings at a time.  bummer.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HokieDave wrote:

No, you're buying into marketing hype (which most of us call "lies").

If I have one TV and one cable box, with the Quantum service, that price is $20 for Quantum and $7.99 for the box rental, for a total of $27.99 / month.

The standard pricing now is

A number of rooms charge (don't have the numbers in front of me).  Any room you plan to have a DVR in counts

And $11 for a dvr in one of the rooms (no multi-room)

$12 for a multi-room DVR

$22 for a Quantum  VMS1100.

$32 for two Quantum VMS1100

So it is only $10 more for a Quantum setup.

Some of us were lucky enough to get the Quantum ($22) free for two years.

0 Likes
GregPitt
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon will never allow customers to make any sort of improvements on anything unless they can find a way to charge us for it.  That should be painfully obvious to anyone who's been a Verizon customer for even a short time   Consider it an "enjoyment tax".

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes