VMS4100 Losing Network Connection Using Own Router and MoCA Adapter
Saberion

Hi all,

I have a netgear Nighthawk R8000P router and a Motorola MoCA Adapter Model MM1000. Currently my MoCA adapter is connected into my LAN 1 port of my router. The issue is that the VMS4100 is getting a connection briefly when I reboot it and my MoCA adapter but then it goes offline after a couple minutes and loses the IP address. Contacted verizon and of course they said I HAVE to use the fios router which obviously is not the case since the VMS is getting a connection even though its brief.

I have no idea why this is happening. Not sure if the Motorola MoCA adapter is the issue or not. I have read that I need to have a splitter which I assume would be to split the connection from my ONT so it connects to the WAN port of my router and the other goes into my MoCA adapter. I would think that it should work how I have it setup now since my VMS is getting a connection even if it is brief.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VMS4100 Losing Network Connection Using Own Router and MoCA Adapter
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your MoCA adapter, VMS4100, and router all next to each other? I kind of remember on another post the poster used the second coax port on the adapter to connect to the set-top box and it didn't work. 

What ended up working was connecting a 2 port splitter at the wall jack and one to the adapter and other the set-top box. Going through that adapter didn't work. 

I would try that but like other poster said this setup with the 4100s seem to be problematic. 

Another option you could try is purchasing a Quantum router and turning off the wifi and configuring you router in AP mode. This way you will have one DHCP server in the Quantum router and the better wifi from your router in AP mode. 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend
Simply connect the Coax cable from your old Verizon router to the MoCA adapter, and then connect an ethernet cable between a LAN port on your routerto the MoCA adapter's ethernet port. Reboot the set top boxes after the MoCA adapter has been connected and ensure they function as intended.Dec 23, 2017

From the web

Saberion

I dont have the verizon router anymore. I got my own and the MoCA adapter so I wouldnt need to pay the $12 per month.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Saberion wrote:

I dont have the verizon router anymore. I got my own and the MoCA adapter so I wouldnt need to pay the $12 per month.

Don’t know what you are talking about. I at no time stated you had verizons router so I mentioned no fee. I answered straightforward to what you asked. How to use your own router with i assume tv. 

Ah ha i see what you are referring to. The reply assumes you have fios tv. Do you have fios tv? If you do the previous MOCA connection (coaxial) goes into the moca adapter and follow the rest of the instructions. And yes if you dont have the Verizon fios router you save the $12 a month fee.

0 Likes
Saberion

Yeah I have Fios TV. The set top box VMS4100 is the main box that is having issues. How I currently am setup is that my MoCA box has the VMS4100 connected via coax then another cable from the MoCA box into the wall coax connection and an ethernet cord going from my LAN 1 port on my router to the MoCA box.

The VMS4100 box keeps losing connection. I have been running a ping on it and it definately seems to keep dropping off the network. It will ping fine, then it will time out for a bit then it will be unreachable and then it will ping fine again. I have another mini set top box in my kitchen which pings fine but I cannot use it because it cannot get a stable connection to the main box.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

If you just have the coaxial (MOCA) from the former fios router plugged into the adapter and then the ethernet plugged into the customer provided router and then ethernet to set top box it should function. The only time you would have issues is from the new fios one set top boxes which need the fios router inorder to set the first set top box and the others if you have other fios one boxes connect via wifi. I have read there is no work around for the newer boxes.

i don’t use fios tv just internet. However you could also solve your issues via not using your own router and purchase the Quantum router G1100 with verizon firmware only off amazon or eBay which are way cheaper that buying new from verizon.

or you could save money via dropping fios tv and just having your own personal router and then returning the fios set top boxes and getting internet only from fios. This way the high costs with tv and set top box rental fees is eliminated. Then google streaming tv services and pay no taxes or surcharges and save loads of cash. Streaming can be anywhere between $30 up to $50 a month. And look at your savings.

0 Likes
Saberion

Yeah the VMS4100 that I have is the new verizon fios one and I had the verizon router to start off with so they were intially setup with that.  I would but a verizon router used but they just suck in general and the netgear nighthawk i have now gets me about 30 mbps more than i got with the verizon router. I just need help to figure out why it keeps losing connection with my current setup.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Unfortunately i am reading over at DslReports that there is no work around for using your own router with the new fios one boxes. I have given you a suggestion here and via message in ways to save and yet keep your fios internet with your own router.

verizon has gone to proprietary equipment to starve off tv customer defections. And on thinking to save those huge rental fees on their routers and set top boxes.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your MoCA adapter, VMS4100, and router all next to each other? I kind of remember on another post the poster used the second coax port on the adapter to connect to the set-top box and it didn't work. 

What ended up working was connecting a 2 port splitter at the wall jack and one to the adapter and other the set-top box. Going through that adapter didn't work. 

I would try that but like other poster said this setup with the 4100s seem to be problematic. 

Another option you could try is purchasing a Quantum router and turning off the wifi and configuring you router in AP mode. This way you will have one DHCP server in the Quantum router and the better wifi from your router in AP mode.