VMS4100 and Sony STR770
Rajan_Anand
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Arris Set top box has a problem working through the AV receiver. Verizon tech support don’t know how to assist in this case.

The STB identifies 720p as the resolution and then if switched off cannot output any image through the receiver. When connected directly to the TV it still does not show a signal. It’s at this point not getting the handshake or the resolution has gone wrong. 

If if I keep the STB on then the system works powering the receiver and Tv off and back on but it then goes to 480p.

is there a way to access a service menu? Is there a way to fix the receiver to stop the repeated resolution changes and speed up the handshake. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VMS4100 and Sony STR770
Rajan_Anand
Enthusiast - Level 3

Clem,  many thanks for your reply. As a point for folks who have handshake issues use a hdcp converter. 

In in my case the resolution was to use a blackbird converter to make this a hdcp 1.4 output to the TV. Now have a solid connection to all devices!

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try menu, settings, voice control, Fios TV voice remote, program fios TV voice remote,  reset remote setup. Then do the manual setup for your receiver and see if that helps.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also from the Sony manual, look at this:

Press AMP MENU, then select
“<HDMI>” – “SIGNAL FMT.”. Select
the input you want, then press .
 STANDARD: Selects this when you do not
use high bandwidth video format.
 ENHANCED: Selects this when you use high
bandwidth video formats such as 4K/60p
4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4K/60p 4:2:0 10 bit.
For details on the high bandwidth video format,
visit the Help Guide.
When “ENHANCED” is selected, we recommend
you to use a Premium High Speed HDMI Cable with
Ethernet, which can support bandwidth up to
18 Gbps.
Some devices (cable box or satellite box, Blu-ray
Disc player, and DVD player) does not work well
with “ENHANCED” setting. In this case, select
“STANDARD”.
If your TV have similar menu for high bandwidth
video format, check the setting on the TV menu
when you select “ENHANCED” on this receiver. For

Rajan_Anand
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I have cec on and off. Enhanced and standard. Thru and no thru signal. 

The receiver is identified correctly but when the tv is switched off the handshake does not happen. I am not sure why the handshake can occur initially and then fails. If I can keep the STB in a non handshake setting that would work. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

STB has to make handshake with receiver or TV no matter what to satisfy DRM standards.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try the vms service menu. Power off at box, Ok 2x on remote quickly, left arrow, down arrow, select user settings, HDMI resolution, set to 1080i, ok restart box.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also have you tried any other devices thru the receiver like a bluray player or streaming device? Same issues or not?

Rajan_Anand
Enthusiast - Level 3

No issues with the blu Ray and Xbox. Actually the vms1100 was also ok too but the 4100 is not. 

For or some reason the 4100 won’t recognize the scaler in the TV at 1080i and insists to hold it at 720p. I will try it again. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried different HDMI cables? Try swapping the VMS cable with one of your other HDMI cables. It's odd that the VMS won't see your TV as more than 720p capable. What TV is it? No chance the receiver is down sampling is there? Did you try manually entering your receiver into the VMS setup under voice control?

Rajan_Anand
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes on the swapped cables. Used the cables that came with vms4100. Also tried the manual install and can control the tv STB and receiver to control volume and power on and off.

the tv is an older tv, plasma th-42phd6uy. The 1100 worked though out the box but the 4100 is not. The 4100 won’t let me control the unit to 1080i. I think it reads the scaler as 768 pixels so it controls in to 720p which is fine. 

Still the handshake fails fails despite the setup. Can only think of trying a hdmi switcher that keeps the signal on. Will update on that. 

0 Likes