Re: VMS4100 and Sony STR770
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your TV is 1366x768, so the box sees it as 720. The new boxes will not output a higher resolution than the monitor they are connected to is capable of. It could also be an issue with the 4100 looking for a higher level of HDCP than the TV can provide since it is so old. Can you try enabling scaling in the receiver and see what happens? Also the switcher may work, as it creates a new handshake on the input side. A distribution amp might also work, but not sure. Really sounds like an issue with the age of your monitor vs the 4100 looking for a more up to date handshake. The 1100 boxes could be setup to provide a fixed or pass through resolution, and be forced to accept a resolution, the 4100 box polls the TV and only supplies what the TV is capable of .

Rajan_Anand
Enthusiast - Level 3

What I don’t understand is why it works with the STB directly attached to the TV. If I use the optical out and the hdmi directly to the monitor it’s usable and functions perfectly. Only thing is that I have to reconnect the cable to switch to the other devices and then reboot the STB. Also why does the 1100 work perfectly?

I will try the input switcher.  Just confused about the 4100

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, if the box works directly to the TV, and stops working when going through the receiver  the problem is either a cable length issue or a setting in the receiver that isn't correct. The box is correctly setting its output to 720, the max your monitor is capable of when going direct. You only have issues going through the receiver it seems. Have you tried plugging the box into one of the other inputs on the receiver? Gone through all the scaling or image enhancing settings on the receiver? If you go into the STB service menu,  first set the HDMI output to 720p. Then go to additional HDMI settings and make sure color space is set to YCbCr4:2:2. Click return to main page, then click menu on the remote. That should force the box to stay in 720p. Make sure your video settings in the receiver is in standard mode, not enhanced.

Rajan_Anand
Enthusiast - Level 3

It’s not changing to YCbCr. I tried the different inputs on the receiver. There are no scaling options on the receiver.  Video format is standard. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

So when the 4100 is hooked up to the receiver  you can't get it to go to YCbCr mode? What if the box connects directly to the TV? Can you then change its color space? Did you also try disabling HDMI control in the amp menu on the receiver? Also try setting the stand by mode to on in the amp menu on the receiver,  HDMI, STBY THROUGH, on. Turn the receiver to to standby mode and see if it passes a video signal.

Rajan_Anand
Enthusiast - Level 3

Color depth does not change either way connected to receiver or tv. What does that mean?

The standby link through does not transmit anything. That worked on the first day but now no longer.

CEC on and off made no difference. How to I do a cold reinitilization on the STB?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

According to what I could find on your TV, it says there is no HDMI input, only DVI. Is that correct? Also is the full model# TH-42PWD6UY?

Rajan_Anand
Enthusiast - Level 3

That’s right. The VMS1100 though had no problems with that. The stb does show dvi mode for the connection

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are using the box in DVI mode which is RGB only. You have no choice because of the TV. Your receiver's owners manual said it will not handle DVI signals properly, and that's why you are having issues sending the 4100 through the receiver. The 1100 boxes were way more tolerant of signal issues than the 4100 series. I suggest you try a DVI switcher at the tv, run the fios box into one input, your receiver to the other, optical from the fios box to the receiver, and plug all your other sources into the receiver. Watching TV select the input on both switch and receiver for fios box, other sources set switch to the receiver. Sorry, but with the equipment you have and the DVI only input on the TV that is probobly the best you can do. From the receiver manual:

"We do not recommend using an HDMI-DVI conversion cable. If you connect an HDMI-DVI conversion cable to a DVI-D device, the sound and/or image may be lost. Connect separate audio cables or digital connecting cables, then reassign the input jacks if the sound is not output correctly." The only other suggestion I have is trying an HDMI to DVI converter box at the output of the receiver. They are cheap, and may solve the problem. Or try an HDMI to component video converter. Or HDMI to VGA active converter.

Rajan_Anand
Enthusiast - Level 3

Clem,  many thanks for your reply. As a point for folks who have handshake issues use a hdcp converter. 

In in my case the resolution was to use a blackbird converter to make this a hdcp 1.4 output to the TV. Now have a solid connection to all devices!