VMS4100: does it support outputting in Dolby Vision or only up to 4K HDR10?
Dualmonitors2

i recently upgraded to the Verizon Fios One VMS4100 "server" DVR.

on my new Sony tv, there is a choice of either choosing inputs having HDR10 or one step higher is Dolby Vision.

however, when i select Dolby Vision, the Verizon VMS4100 produces only a black screen on my Sony tv.

may i ask if the VMS 4100 ONLY outputs up to 4K HDR10 and doesn't go as high up as 4K Dolby Vision?

where would i find this information please?  i can't find it anywhere.

thank you all in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VMS4100: does it support outputting in Dolby Vision or only up to 4K HDR10?
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Dualmonitors2 wrote:

thank you @clem53.

a follow up question please:

in the HDMI input options area of the Sony TV, what selection would you make please?  

there are 3 options:

1)  the lowest option (forgot the name)

2) Enhanced

3) Enhanced Dolby Vision

when i chose option 3, "Enhanced Dolby Vision", the Verizon Fios TV One dvr box would not display - i only got a black screen.  so, i was forced to downgrade to option 2, "Enhanced".

since my Sony TV is as current as can be (A80J), a 2021 model, it feels odd to be forced to downgrade its HDMI input in order to allow the Verizon VMS4100 dvr to display!  this downgrade includes forcing my Roku Ultra to be downgraded too, since all my sources (Verizon VMS4100, Roku Ultra, and an old Sony Bluray) go into a Denon 4700 first, and then the Denon outputs to a single TV.

why do you think please that when i chose "Enhanced Dolby Vision" on my Sony tv's HDMI Port 3 input, it only would display a black screen?

thank you in advance.

When you choose Dolby Vision, the TV is looking for that format on the input. The Fios box can't output DV so you get the black screen. Enhanced should still give you HDR10 and HLG which the Fios box is capable of outputting. You may have to switch to Dolby Vision in the TV settings when watching Dolby Vision from your other sources. Check whether the Enhanced setting will still correctly pass a DV signal first though. On my slightly older Sony it WILL. Check this out for recommended settings: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a80j-oled/settings

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Dualmonitors2 wrote:

i recently upgraded to the Verizon Fios One VMS4100 "server" DVR.

on my new Sony tv, there is a choice of either choosing inputs having HDR10 or one step higher is Dolby Vision.

however, when i select Dolby Vision, the Verizon VMS4100 produces only a black screen on my Sony tv.

may i ask if the VMS 4100 ONLY outputs up to 4K HDR10 and doesn't go as high up as 4K Dolby Vision?

where would i find this information please?  i can't find it anywhere.

thank you all in advance.

I believe the VMS 1100 can output HDR10 4K and HLG 4K, but not Dolby Vision. Set the input you use for the Fios box to Auto in the Sony Picture Adjustments>Advanced Options> Video Options>HDR menu and you shouldn't have any problems. I have all 3 options there set to Auto and it works great.

Dualmonitors2

thank you @clem53.

in the HDMI input options area of the Sony TV, what selection would you make please?  

there are 3 options:

2) Enhanced

3) Enhanced Dolby Vision

when i chose option 3, "Enhanced Dolby Vision", the Verizon Fios TV One dvr box would not display - i only got a black screen.  so, i was forced to downgrade to option 2, "Enhanced".

since my Sony TV is as current as can be (A80J), a 2021 model, it feels odd to be forced to downgrade its HDMI input in order to allow the Verizon VMS4100 dvr to display!  this downgrade includes forcing my Roku Ultra to be downgraded too, since all my sources (Verizon VMS4100, Roku Ultra, and an old Sony Bluray) go into a Denon 4700 first, and then the Denon outputs to a single TV.

why do you think please that when i chose "Enhanced Dolby Vision" on my Sony tv's HDMI Port 3 input, it only would display a black screen?

thank you in advance.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Dualmonitors2 wrote:

thank you @clem53.

there are 3 options:

2) Enhanced

3) Enhanced Dolby Vision

thank you in advance.

When you choose Dolby Vision, the TV is looking for that format on the input. The Fios box can't output DV so you get the black screen. Enhanced should still give you HDR10 and HLG which the Fios box is capable of outputting. You may have to switch to Dolby Vision in the TV settings when watching Dolby Vision from your other sources. Check whether the Enhanced setting will still correctly pass a DV signal first though. On my slightly older Sony it WILL. Check this out for recommended settings: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a80j-oled/settings