VOD_212
papalee1

I keep getting the error message "VOD-212" and it says something along the lines of an "invalid program" and "not on our servers." This only happens at night, usually around midnight. It happens to all my receivers. It is not an individual receiver problem or a subscription issue. Rebooting does nothing to help. Anyone have any ideas?!? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VOD_212
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

does it start working again in the morning? If so it is likely Verizon updating the VOD system. When updating with new or removing old VOD they have to take the server offline so that means you cannot order. Most of the time they do this in the middle of the night so it affects as few people as possible. Sounds like that is likely what is happening to you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

does it start working again in the morning? If so it is likely Verizon updating the VOD system. When updating with new or removing old VOD they have to take the server offline so that means you cannot order. Most of the time they do this in the middle of the night so it affects as few people as possible. Sounds like that is likely what is happening to you.

0 Likes
papalee1

That makes sense. You'd think, however, they would notify us some other way than a dumb error message like VOD_212. I've been online with 2 tech people and not one of them suggested what you have. I appreciate your reply.

0 Likes
Onigiriman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Me too, Thanks for clearing that up for me. I wonder how long it takes though. I'm a night owl and watch a lot of TV at night so this is not too cool. But at least I know now.

0 Likes
MrBigShot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is this a solution?

It seems more like an explanation, and even at that it fails to help users resolve the "error message" that pops up when attempting to access video on demand. 

The error message reads:

We are unable to process your request at this time.  Your selection is not available on the system.  Please make another selection.  [VOD_212]

Technical info: Invalid Program

As this update process seems to take more than five minutes (20 minutes and counting here so far), my suggestion is to solve the problem of the erroneous and misleading error message.

For certain the error message needs to be revised to eliminate the sentence "Please make another selection", because ALL SELECTIONS are labelled as "invalid" and selecting another program gives the same error message again and again.  Also, selecting a "bookmarked" item causes all of the bookmarks to be labelled as invalid and all bookmarks are removed (highly annoying!)

One more thing: why allow a customer to even access VOD when this update is happening?  If nothing can be selected without the incorrect error message, then it's pointless to even allow a customer to enter the VOD system.  A simple message that states VOD is unavailable (ugh) would suffice.

I don't recall this happening when first we switched to FIOS, and now it seems to happen weekly.  IF VOD is going to be unavailable at certani times, could you publish a schedule of when?

Thanks. 

tncook

@MrBigShot wrote:

Is this a solution?

It seems more like an explanation, and even at that it fails to help users resolve the "error message" that pops up when attempting to access video on demand. 

The error message reads:

We are unable to process your request at this time.  Your selection is not available on the system.  Please make another selection.  [VOD_212]

Technical info: Invalid Program

As this update process seems to take more than five minutes (20 minutes and counting here so far), my suggestion is to solve the problem of the erroneous and misleading error message.

For certain the error message needs to be revised to eliminate the sentence "Please make another selection", because ALL SELECTIONS are labelled as "invalid" and selecting another program gives the same error message again and again.  Also, selecting a "bookmarked" item causes all of the bookmarks to be labelled as invalid and all bookmarks are removed (highly annoying!)

One more thing: why allow a customer to even access VOD when this update is happening?  If nothing can be selected without the incorrect error message, then it's pointless to even allow a customer to enter the VOD system.  A simple message that states VOD is unavailable (ugh) would suffice.

I don't recall this happening when first we switched to FIOS, and now it seems to happen weekly.  IF VOD is going to be unavailable at certani times, could you publish a schedule of when?

Thanks. 

I completly agree with everything you said! & here it is 3 months later & the same issue is occuring Smiley Indifferent

0 Likes
Richiereds

yep same thing happing to me right now and the tech actually scheduled a tech to come to my house to check my wiring.  If they know its just updating just have a pop-up come on and tell everyone.  Updating the VOD system right now sorry for a inconvenence ... thats all not a hour on the phone and a tech scheduled to come out later for me to find this out on a blog lol... whoever made the decision to do things this way should be fired and any 6 yr old with some common sense should take their place.

0 Likes
pegling

Well, at least I know what's going on now.  Unfortunately I work until 1am and would like to watch something when I get home.  This constant problem is making me rethink my cable choice.  I can't believe Comcast is actually looking good again.

0 Likes
amatern
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's 9:00 pm and this is happening to me ... rebooted the STB to no avail. 

0 Likes
amatern
Enthusiast - Level 2

this is not a solution.  If, in fact, Verizon is updating their VOD server(s) (and seriously, this can't be the case.  Verizon only has a sinlge way of distributing VOD? ) and there is no other message than a cryptic numerical error, then something needs to be fixed.  Give the end users a better error message - at the minimum.  Find a better way to update your servers while keeping customers happy.  This error shouldn't occur at 9:00 pm EST on a Wednesday.

0 Likes