VOD/On Demand (HBO/Cinemax HD) quality
darren
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried searching to see if others were experiencing this, but I did not appear to see any items at first glance.

We have been noticing a degradation of the quality of the On Demand selections from HBO/Cinemax HD. Primarily the program will begin well, but then at periodic intervals through the movie, pixelation occurs, to the point where we will losse some voice, and then it will return.

If you rewind back behind the point at which the degredation began, it will generally play fine, until the next time it happens - which can be anywhere between 5 minutes to 20 minutes later.

It can get rather frustrating when you are watching a movie and key dialog is missed, and you have to rewind to get back and figure out what they said.

I am also frustrated as to the amount of money I pay for the service, and yet it continues to be an issue.

Anyone else seen this issue, and if there are any suggestions on things that I could do to rectify it?

I am reluctant to call for service, and I believe that it is intermittant, and I can never generaly have it happen when I want to show someone.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: VOD/On Demand (HBO/Cinemax HD) quality
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

Are you using FIOS for internet?

What is your data plan?

Have you tried a speedtest to see if you are getting the correct speeds?

When you are watching these movies are you also using the internet?

It's possible you are running out of bandwidth at these points for some reason.

0 Likes
Re: VOD/On Demand (HBO/Cinemax HD) quality
darren
Enthusiast - Level 2

To help answer the questions - see below;

Are you using FIOS for internet? YES

What is your data plan? 5 down / 2 up

Have you tried a speedtest to see if you are getting the correct speeds? Yes - several times. All looks good

When you are watching these movies are you also using the internet? Yes - BUT generally it is just idle time, as the computer will be sitting on a web-site, little other traffic. (e.g. no VoIP or P2P applications running)

It's possible you are running out of bandwidth at these points for some reason.

I thought similarly, but I also thought that the system cached to the STB.The playing does not stop, and the points when it happens only last for up to 20 seconds, you generally only loose 5 seconds (approx) of dialog. Almost like there is some form of interference on the line.  

0 Likes