VOD a bit blurry
ToddandAnnette
Enthusiast - Level 2
VOD is a bit blurry but regular tv seems fine.  Anyone else have this problem?  Just had FIOS put in today.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VOD a bit blurry
ToddandAnnette
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hi everyone....had a new media dvr sent and things now look like I expected.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
What area are you in?  Areas that still have guide (IMG) version 1.5 have been reporting this problem for a long time.  Don't know if the release of 1.6 improves since I still have 1.5 in SE PA.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Not that this helps but not everyone has this issue, so it only gets better. 

IMG 1.6 Washington Metro area and never noticed blury picture, even before with 1.5. Running 1080i output on the DVR QIP6416-2. Watched a VOD HD title last night and it rocks. I hope you solve your issue. I suspect it may be a 720 output issue that I have not had. Do not use the SD overide on the new 1.6 firmware, many had gone in the setup menu in the STB before VZ added it in the Settings menu. I tried it and found it better to let the TV stretch the picture, and not the box. My $3000 TV does a much better job deciding what the picture should look like.

0 Likes
ToddandAnnette
Enthusiast - Level 2
We're in Ellicott City - zip 21043.  Software version is 1.6.  Still can't seem to sort it out.
0 Likes
larryh
Enthusiast - Level 2
I also just had fios installed today.  All of my standard def stations and VOD out of my HD boxes are poor picture quality (blurry).  I have tried all combinations of video (720p or 1080i) and "SD override" (off, 480i, 480p and stretch) and it looks about the same for all.  This is true on 2 different HD TVs.  The HD stations look great but the SD stations are terrible compared to the Comcast that I used to have.  I plan to call Verizon and have them come and look at it.  I'll watch this thread to see if anyone has any ideas.
0 Likes
ToddandAnnette
Enthusiast - Level 2
Now in addition to the VOD being a bit blurry, i am also noticing the standard channels not being as crisp...HD channels look fine.  Also, wife was watching Desperate Housewives on VOD and the voices did match along the video...need to get Verizon back in....
0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

I've never thought SD-VOD looked good on an HDTV, but this was kind of expected.  HD-VOD looks great on my HDTVs, and SD-VOD looks great on my SDTVs.

One thing that might help is if you have a nice audio receiver that will upscale the SD video signals to 720p/1080i.

0 Likes
larryh
Enthusiast - Level 2
I just wanted to clarify a few things.  First, I am also in Ellicott City (21042), so this may be something peculiar to the network in that area.  Also, I have one HDTV hooked up with HDMI, the other with Component, and they both are blurry on SD stations.  Finally, I have no love for Comcast (that's why I'm here), but their SD digital stations were absolutely crystal clear.
0 Likes
Goroad1

Since the new software upgrade we have had the same problem, Non-HD channels are very low quality and the HD Channels are just okay.

Prior to the upgrde we would brag that the SD channels were almost as good as Comcasts HD channels..Almost makes us want to go back to Cmcast or Antenna..

As for VOD, it has never been great, we typically only watch the HD offerings.

Hopefully when Verizon finishes the realingment they will change the compression ratio and both HD and SD quality will get back to the way it was?

0 Likes
Goroad1

P.S.

We are in Montgomery County, MD

0 Likes