VOD and Remote Control
NYCJONES2
When watching a VOD program (NBC's The Office), the remote cannot pause, fast forward, or rewind the program. This doesn't seem like normal operation, can someone please advise? Thank you.
0 Likes
Re: VOD and Remote Control
CCandBW
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've noticed that with NBC shows and select shows on other networds, especially the very popular shows.  I believe they have disabled these controls -- it's a "feature" that seems to be enabled selectively.  On the first half of the season of FlashForward on ABC, they at least showed a message at the beginning letting you know the controls were disabled.  I assume they do it so we won't skip the advertising and I have no problem with that; however, without the warning, I can't plan my VOD viewing.  E.g., I was watching Parenthood (NBC) and was interrupted so I stopped the show and planned to come back to it later.  Because I waited more than 24 hours, I no longer had the option to continue from where I left off.  No problem, I'll just FF; but FF was disabled.  Now my only option is to let it run, go do some other tasks, and hope I catch it at the right time or I suppose I can watch the entire episode again (not the best use of my time). 

I'm not sure why NBC doesn't give the warning screen at the beginning -- that should be a requirement; however, I'm not sure whether that would be provided by FIOS or the network distributing the show (maybe a flag they set at distribution).  Maybe the warning screen is a feature we lost with the 1.7.1 upgrade?  Or maybe FIOS dropped the feature or maybe it's network-specific option.  Does anybody know who provides the warning message and why we aren't receiving them on NBC shows?

0 Likes
NYCJONES2
Thank you. That explanation helps me understand that it just isn't my remote. By the same token, I agree with you - not being able to forward to where you left off is a nuisance. Maybe we can get official word, and some helpful advice, from Verizon on this topic?
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Several network stations put the requirement that you must watch the commercials, therefor they require that the FF feature be disabled. Since Verizon is unable to selectively stop one mode and not others, all controls are disabled. Play and Stop are all that work. So its not you, its the vod provider (NBC is the most notorious for this)

Its really outside Verizon control.

0 Likes