Verizon FiOS DVR Storage Expansion
KJH278
Enthusiast - Level 3

Will more storage be avalible early this year or early 2012

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FiOS DVR Storage Expansion
Hubrisnxs
Legend

They have a lot of testers - testing this out right now, it's part of the new img 1.9 and we are all hoping for first quarter,   but I don't think we have an official date yet, but I would imagine first or 2nd quarter of this year.  so right around the corner. 

0 Likes
mcorbo
Contributor - Level 2

From what I understand, expanded storage will not be an option on the older 6416 dvr.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@mcorbo wrote:

From what I understand, expanded storage will not be an option on the older 6416 dvr.

Correct.  External expansion will be via eSATA and the 6416 does not have it.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@mcorbo wrote:

Currently there are three options.

1. Attempt to get an upgrade to the 7216 which are widely available and have the ability to add an external drive with img. 1.9

2. Attempt to get the new 7232 which actually has the 500gig drive not the 320 as labled.

3. Log in to My Verizon and add yourself to the list to be notified when more storage options are available.

https://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/members/DvrExpansion.aspx

0 Likes
markyoung04

How do I know what image version I have? Not at home so I can not flip thru the menu at this time....

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@markyoung04 wrote:

How do I know what image version I have? Not at home so I can not flip thru the menu at this time....

Unless you are in the beta test group, ERVERYONE has IMG 1.8.  No need to look anywhere, but it is in the on screen menu under settings and system.

0 Likes
markyoung04

Ahh sorry I read that wrong - so unless you are a beta tester of the new image you can not expand w/ an external drive - we need to wait to see what comes first the image or the ability to get a new box....I would prefer to expand my existing one so I don't lose shows. 

0 Likes
redup
Enthusiast - Level 2

My experience with the FIOS 500GB DVR upgrade

Received the FIOS email Wednesday, 2 March 2011. Placed an order to replace one of my two(2) DVRs which are located in different rooms each connected to a TV.  Received the new DVR Model 7232 Thursday, 3 March 2011.  I installed the new DVR Friday, 04 March 2011.  Install went great and activation went great, up and running.

However, when I attempted to access the new DVR via the Internet from my PC or Verizon DROID, the new DVR was not accessible.  Followed all of the on-line troubleshooting guides without success.  I initiated an on-line text session with  Verizon Tech Support.  After 20 minutes the Verizon FIOS tech tells me I need Home Media DVR to access my new DVR and only Verizon Billing could help.  THe TECH would not budge on his position to transfer me to billing and would not listen to to info I passed to him.  I was transferred to FIOS Billing.  Billing agent went over my the previous chat and my records.  I received a number of questions from Billing and after repeating several times that I had two(2)  DVRS with each DVR connected to a TV I the Billing agent got the message, OH You have TWO (2) DVRs each connected to a TV, well that is a Tech Problem and FIOS Tech Support must not have understood that you have Two (2) TVs, so after 27 minutes with Billing I was transferred back to FIOS Tech Support.  So once again I had a new FIOS Tech on-line who had to review my record and the chat session and I had to repeatedly explain that I had two DVRs, upgraded one and now I do not have Remote Access to the new 500GB DVR.  During our discussion the Tech said, Oh you do not have a 500GB DVR, you have a 320GB hard drive.  To that I sent him the email I received from Verizon FIOS regarding my order for the 500GB DVR......I received no more comments on the size of the DVR??  well after 1 hour and 12 minutes with the new FIOS Tech he told me a Trouble Ticket would be opened and he terminated the session.  Ticket is still open with a Fix Time of Monday, 7 March at 5PM.  So all of this only took approx 2 hours?????????

Short Verizon of above....

Had 2 DVRs, Models 6416 connected to 2 TVs

Upgraded 1 DVR to the 500GB 7232

Lost Remote DVR Access to the new 500GB 7232 DVR

Spent 2 hours in a chat session split between Verizon Billing and two FIOS Techs.

Have a ticket open and two plus days later still no Remote DVR Access to my NEW 500GB DVR Upgrade.

0 Likes
HelloExactly
Enthusiast - Level 1

Redup,

JUST went through the very same thing. Here's what I did to fix mine.  When you got your box it came with an activation code. EVEN IF YOU ALREADY "AUTO-ACTIVATED", go to the activation site provided on the paper you got with the packaging.

www.verizon.com/fiostv/selfinstall

follow the instructions. when i did this i recieved an error message, however, RIGHT after i did so i checked my list of STB's and suddenly the new box i couldnt connect to was available. I launched my mobile remote app from my new DVR and reset pins.  If you were having trouble with the mobile remote app on the box prior to "re-registering" it MAY work now.