Verizon Fios TV One Box Spontaneously Turning On TV
Sandrew1

Equipment:

Set-top Box (STB):  Verizon Fios TV One

TV:  Sony Bravia X900H

Prior Thread:  https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-TV-Technical-Assistance/TV-turns-on-by-itself/td-p/857540

Issue:  When my TV is connected to the Fios TV One STB, it will spontaneously turn on without a user input -- that is, after shutting down both the TV and STB for the night, I will awake to find that the TV is on and displaying the STB screen saver.

Suspected Cause:  I suspect that the issue is related to the HDMI-CEC, a feature that allows devices connected via HDMI to communicate with each other.  In this case, HDMI-CEC should be permitting the STB to pass inputs received from the Fios TV Voice Remote through to the TV.  For example, when it is working properly, when a user presses the power or volume buttons on the Fios TV Voice Remote, it should pass those commands to the TV, powering on or off the TV or increasing or decreasing the volume, respectively.   The issue appears to be that, for some reason, the TV is receiving a "turn on" command from the STB via HDMI-CEC, even without a user input to the remote or STB.  The HDMI-CEC features between the STB and TV otherwise seem to be working as intended -- i.e., pressing power on the remote turns on or off both the STB and the TV, and the volume buttons are likewise passed through to the TV as expected.

Undesirable Work-Around:  In another thread (see above), users reported that they were able to fix this issue either by disabling the HDMI-CEC feature on the TV or by connecting the STB to the TV via a non-HDMI connection (such as component video).

Requested Fix:  I want to resolve the issue of the TV spontaneously turning on, while preserving HDMI-CEC functionality.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Fios TV One Box Spontaneously Turning On TV
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Ld13 wrote:

I tried everything none of these steps work my tv has regza link even everything is disable still my tv turn on itself. Told Verizon they need to disable it or upgrade the software to change the hdmi to cable coax.

Instead of plugging the Fios box into an eARC connector on your TV try a basic HDMI input. Make sure Video input control is DISABLED in the Fios menu, and Anynet is disabled in the TV menu. Also make sure Expanded color, wide color, enhanced color or whatever Toshiba calls it is enabled for the Fios input.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

On Fios box: Menu>settings>audio and video>video settings>TV input control, set to disabled.

CordCutter

I’m having the same problem with the same tv.  It started right after an update on the tv. The fios box is causing all kinds of issues with the tv. Crashing it, restarting it, cause it to run slow. The tv works perfectly fine with the fios box unplugged. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CordCutter wrote:

I’m having the same problem with the same tv.  It started right after an update on the tv. The fios box is causing all kinds of issues with the tv. Crashing it, restarting it, cause it to run slow. The tv works perfectly fine with the fios box unplugged. 

I also have the same TV. Did you try what I posted above? Did you try removing the Fios box from the Vaio link list in the home menu?

CordCutter

I did change the setting you suggested on the fios box. (It was already disabled). I’m not interested in disabling Bravia sync because I want my tv remote to operate my fios box.  I do not want 2 remotes. The fact that it worked flawlessly before makes me not want to settle. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CordCutter wrote:

I did change the setting you suggested on the fios box. (It was already disabled). I’m not interested in disabling Bravia sync because I want my tv remote to operate my fios box.  I do not want 2 remotes. The fact that it worked flawlessly before makes me not want to settle. 

Did you get the Sony update this week? My 900 did, maybe that was causing the issue. I would undo the Bravia sync settings for the box and redo them if you are still having issues. You don't have to disable it completely.

CordCutter

Did that already.  No change. The Sony update was for hdmi 2.1.  I have a feeling the fios box is missing some kind of hdmi 2.1 standard. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CordCutter wrote:

Did that already.  No change. The Sony update was for hdmi 2.1.  I have a feeling the fios box is missing some kind of hdmi 2.1 standard. 

Nothing to do with HDMI 2.1, you are having a CEC problem. Sounds like the Fios box is sending out power signal after everything is turned off. I had that problem occasionally with a Denon receiver for a while until Denon had a firmware update that resolved it. Have you tried un-programming the Fios remote, then re-programming it for the Sony? Could be a simple programming issue where the remote is sending 2 power commands. I'd also disable all notifications on the Fios box too, could be waking up the TV somehow.

CordCutter

Reprogrammed fios remote to only control the stb (not tv), deleted Sony Bravia sync profile and remade it.  Still same issue. Black screens when changing to stb input on Sony tv.  Doesn’t happen every time, but when it does you have to reset the fios stb to get any picture.  

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CordCutter wrote:

Reprogrammed fios remote to only control the stb (not tv), deleted Sony Bravia sync profile and remade it.  Still same issue. Black screens when changing to stb input on Sony tv.  Doesn’t happen every time, but when it does you have to reset the fios stb to get any picture.  

Have you tried a different high-speed certified HDMI cable? What resolution is the Fios box setup to use?