Verizon Fios and the weather channel
silverado4x4
Contributor - Level 2

This must have just started if you go to the weather channel website you can no longer view videos all you hear is sound now after the video finishes it ask you for your tv service provider and Fios is not listed. I think its funny and hope weather channel never comes back. I can view weather channel videos on my phone but as soon as I connect to my wifi at home the video cant be viewed just the sound is heard.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Fios and the weather channel
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure which video you are trying to watch.  The ones I tried work without asking for my ISP.  It could be you found one that requires you be a subscriber, and since Verizon doesn't carry The Weather Channel you are out of luck.

0 Likes
Finni1

I wish Verizon would consider an option for us to be able to buy the Weather Channel

at an extra monthly fee. Every other network offers the Weather Channel - only

Verizon is depriving us of a very necessary source of information.  I hope that someone in Verizon reads these forums and acts accordingly. And the sooner the better.

IBM - where is your sense of business ?????

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its not that simple.

Verizon has fixed costs to offer any channel.

Plus they would have to get permission from TWC to offer it.

The reason that Verizon stated they were dropping TWC is because of low viewership.

Ratings for 2017 showed TWC averaged 250K daily viewers.

That is nationwide.

Given that FIOS has about 5M subscribers out of nearly 100M.

You can see how the numbers may not add up given that cable providers pay for every subscriber to a channel regardless if they watch or not.

0 Likes
Dan_Miller1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CRobGauth

Interesting how you are spinning the numbers.

250k viewers a day, placed TWC at the #43 spot overall for 2017, ahead of CNBC, CMT, Disney XD, ESPN2, BBC America, and a ton of others that Verizon chooses to carry.

TWC was named “TV News Brand of the Year” for seven years in a row by Harris Poll.

The Weather Channel reached almost 70 million Americans in 2017. It was No. 1 in total day viewers during the week of Hurricane Irma (week of Sept. 4, 2017), and averaged more than 1 million adults 25-54 on Friday, Sept. 8 in prime time, peaking at 3 million total viewers during the 11 p.m. hour. Those figures gave TWC its most-watched night since Superstorm Sandy in fall of 2012.

During the weekend of Hurricane Harvey, TWC was No. 1 in total viewers and in the A25-54 demographic. During the height of the storm, Friday through Sunday, the network reached over 37 million viewers, with 1 in 5 American households tuning into The Weather Channel.

Although you might say that those numbers were because of the storm, so what? Storms happen. And even during nor weather related events like the Solar Eclipse, TWC delivered nearly 1.7 million total viewers and 459,000 demo viewers that day, No. 3 across cable TV.

So knock it off with your line about lack of viewership.

Because TWC did all of that last year without Fios.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Special events have viewers. Rest of the time it doesn't. Overall ratings are the average for the year. I'm sure if you look at NBCs Superbowl ratings, you could say they are very highly rated. But they are average with the rest.

And although they may be #43 on list of cable channels, we have no idea as to price per subscriber. Plus a number of these channels I would safely assume are part of a package (think you can drop ESPN2 and keep ESPN or Disney XD and keep Disney?)

They could be #10 for all we know.

Verizon stated when channel was dropped that carrying the channel no longer made business sense. As they have done with other channels since then.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes