Verizon TV One Box: LOUD pop/buzz noise when changing channels!
Dualmonitors2

Dear All:

i have two Verizon TV One Boxes, one for my living room set up, one for my bedroom set up.  Each Verizon TV One box feeds into a Denon AVR receiver, which then outputs to a projector and a TV respectively in the two set ups.

The bedroom set up has a loud popping noise (pop and buzz) which is very brief but rather loud whenever i change channels.  The living room set up doesn't have any such noise.

May I ask if anyone has encountered this situation before please?  It is startling and might even damage my speakers!

Hope to hear from someone who has experienced this situation as well.  Is the resolution to call Verizon and request an exchange of Fios TV One boxes?

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon TV One Box: LOUD pop/buzz noise when changing channels!
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Would it be possible to temporarily switch either the STBs or the Denon receivers to see if the trouble follows a specific piece of hardware? 🤔

Quisp1

I just purchased a Denon AVR – S 960 H and have experienced the same exact issue with cable programming only. I have a PS5, a Roku device neither has produced the speaker issue. 
it occurs when I fast forward a program or even change the channel. I was honestly ready to return my Denon receiver after trying just about everything but then I moved the HDMI from the FiOS box that was going into my AVR input and moved it directly to my TV and I have not had any problems since. I’m looking for remedies since this way I have to use E arc therefore I lose the 7.1

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Quisp wrote:

I just purchased a Denon AVR – S 960 H and have experienced the same exact issue with cable programming only. I have a PS5, a Roku device neither has produced the speaker issue. 
it occurs when I fast forward a program or even change the channel. I was honestly ready to return my Denon receiver after trying just about everything but then I moved the HDMI from the FiOS box that was going into my AVR input and moved it directly to my TV and I have not had any problems since. I’m looking for remedies since this way I have to use E arc therefore I lose the 7.1

I have a Denon AVR 3400 receiver and never had this issue with my Fios One. Did you try a different input for the Fios box on the Receiver? Is the Fios box and receiver plugged into the same outlet or power strip? Did you try a different HDMI cable from the Fios box to the TV? Did you try swapping Fios boxes if you have two? Maybe if all else fails you could get a new box from Verizon as that is NOT normal behavior.

Quisp1

My AVR has 6 inputs. I didnt try all of them, but, I did move the HDMI to another AVR input with same result.

All of my Home Theater devices are running thru a Monster HTS 2600 MKii surge/conditioner.

I did try a different cable when running to the AVR, but, same result. All my devices that run thru my Denon AVR are using Zeskit Maya 8k 48gbps cables.

IDK, when I googled my issue recent, I found this thread, and quite a few others at verizon forums, that were dealing with the same issue. Some claimed it eventually fixed thru FIOS firmware updates, others mentioned, going into your box settings and changing Audio Surround to Stereo (?) and also disable Passthru. 

If I run the box to the TV I have no issue. Also, if I run the box to the AVR and disable Passthru within the FIOS Audio settings, it seems to be ok. So right now Ive disabled passthru. I wont feel confident for a few days of testing to see if it "pops up" again. lol

0 Likes
Quisp1

Like I said initially I thought it was the speaker input to my right front floor speaker. The popping sound was really only coming from there albeit only when using FIOS. So initially I replace the wire and banana plugs, made sure polarity was correct, and it still did it. Then I switched my left front and right speakers and the issue was still coming from the right side so I knew it wasn’t the speaker. That’s when I was prepared to return the Denon but then I just did a search on the issue and that’s when I found this thread which led me to do testing specific to FiOS. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Quisp wrote:

Like I said initially I thought it was the speaker input to my right front floor speaker. The popping sound was really only coming from there albeit only when using FIOS. So initially I replace the wire and banana plugs, made sure polarity was correct, and it still did it. Then I switched my left front and right speakers and the issue was still coming from the right side so I knew it wasn’t the speaker. That’s when I was prepared to return the Denon but then I just did a search on the issue and that’s when I found this thread which led me to do testing specific to FiOS. 

Changing passthrough to disabled might help. Did you try swapping Fios boxes? What APR version of firmware is your Fios box running? Should be APR 7.10 or 7.11. Main Menu > Settings>System Information.

Is the Denon receiver set to Pure, Pure Direct or Auto in the Sound Mode? I use Auto and have no issues.

Quisp1

Im running 7.11

Yeah I did that (disabled passthru). Thats what allowed me to run FIOS thru the Denon, rather than the TV input.

My Denon doesnt have a Sound mode in its setup. Regardless, FIOS is working ok.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Quisp wrote:

Im running 7.11

Yeah I did that (disabled passthru). Thats what allowed me to run FIOS thru the Denon, rather than the TV input.

My Denon doesnt have a Sound mode in its setup. Regardless, FIOS is working ok.

Hope that sticks! Should though, could have been the receiver trying to change sound modes based on the programming provided by the Fios box and glitching. Disabling passthrough doesn't allow the Fios box to pass all the surround formats in the programming though.

Quisp1

Yeah I just noticed that. Most of the dialogue is coming primarily through my left and right fronts rather my center speaker which I don’t like. I decided to move FiOS off my receiver and just go right into my TV that way I can reenable pass through and it sounds so much better. 🙂

0 Likes