Verizon can't or won't remove dead DVR from my equipment list
cyberkine
Enthusiast - Level 2

Several months ago Hurricane Sandy caused a power surge that took out most of my FiOS gear. The tech replaced a whole lot of gear and everthing works. However, the dead dvr he replaced still shows up in my account when I try and remote manage my DVR. Because the dead one doesn't exist, the website gets all buggy and crashy on me.

I have twice tried to get Verizon support to remove the dead dvr from my account. Once I waited on hold for over an hour, another time I waited 45 minutes for on-line chat. Each time they pledged to escalate it, and each time the ticket was closed without resolution.

How do you get support from Verizon for something that's not bill or hardware related?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon can't or won't remove dead DVR from my equipment list
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

Hi cyberkine,

Please go to your profile page for the forum by clicking on your name, and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Private Support Cases".

There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

Regards,

AnnieS

0 Likes
pkegney
Contributor - Level 1

Annie, I had this problem too! It took several months to clear up. I even had a 'Live' reset performed by Verizon. I was told a host of **bleep** however it did disappear eventually. Just keep a close eye on your billing that you aren't being charged for the nonexistent box. I would try turning off (disconnect) Verizon's equipment (router, STBs, etc., ) then reboot your ONT box.

THEN reconnect the same equipment router first ..Then STBs

THEN reconnect all your network appliances ..AFTER router connections check out ..In that order

It's worth a try!!!!

0 Likes
cyberkine
Enthusiast - Level 2
I did a full power shutdown of everything. Then I pulled the ONT battery and its power cord. After a couple of minutes I powered up, one at a time, the ONT, the router, the DVR, the STB, and then the Internet stuff.

No joy. 😞

It's not on my bill, it's just an annoyance whenever I use the Verizon site or the app.
0 Likes
pkegney
Contributor - Level 1

@cyberkine wrote:
No joy. 😞

It's not on my bill, it's just an annoyance whenever I use the Verizon site or the app.

Sorry, to here that 😞 If you have the time to spend I would call customer service and get a 'supervisor' on the line and resolve to not conclude until 'this matter' is resolved. If you get nowhere with that supervisor then ask for their supervisor, etc., This scenario usually escalates your problem toward someone who will (if only because the entire conversation is recorded and nobody wants to appear as incompetent, at least to their superiors). I've had my best luck using this tactic, as I've found most of their patronizing as just a way of saying they do not have the answer. And you must resolve to remain on the line until you get someone who does.

Remember to take note of all their (customer service, tech support, etc.,) personal information along the way, so you can relay this on to the next person, ie So-and-so said this ...and so-and-so said that!   Details ...details ...details

0 Likes
cyberkine
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm a senior IT tech/manager at a very large, highly regulated facility. I don't suffer fools gladly and hours on the phone with ignorant front line help line techs will not improve my mood. I rather persue this through private message as I am now. I'll have a record of the conversation and I can work the problem in my own time. It's taken them months to not fix - I can stand a few weeks more.

0 Likes
cyberkine
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon called today to explain that the dead box was manually deleted from the data linked to my web account. Everything is now working as it should. It appears that the dead equipment was not deactivated in the normal way, but rather through some emergency procedure used in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.

Anyway, thanks to the forum the issue has been resolved. Some things just don't get handled properly with a single phone call or chat. Email, or in this case private messaging, is a far better way to address complex issues. It's a shame it took me so long to discover it on the Verizon site.

Anyway, happy again!

0 Likes
MandT1

Annie,

I saw your post in reponse to CYBERKINE from a few months ago, but I am unable to find how to send a private message.  I am experiencing the same issue as CYBERKINE was in regards to how an old DVR (since, replaced) still shows up in my account when I try and remote manage my DVR. Because the dead one doesn't exist, the website and iPhone app gets all buggy and crashy on me.

I have twice tried to get Verizon support to remove the dead DVR from my account to no avail.  Once I waited on hold for over an hour, another time I went through the motions with 1st tier support for 45 minutes.

Each time they pledged to escalate it, and each time the ticket was closed without resolution.

How do you get support from Verizon for something that's not bill or hardware related?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi MandT,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Btaboada
I too have a "ghost" set top box which cannot be deleted. I recently replaced it as the fan was running all the time. Now when I manage my equipment or try to change the name of the multi-room dvr, I get an error because of this ghost. There is no I can delete it. Can a technician do this? Thanks.
0 Likes