set top boxs have bad delay
vett2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the motorola 7232 hd dvr and the 7100 hd box. the problem is when I go to change the channel or go to the guide or any other function I will get  delay sometimesup to 1 min. it is very frustrating, this is the third box verizon has sent to me all with the same problem. any idea why? would the cisco boxs be better??

0 Likes
Re: set top boxs have bad delay
vett2
Enthusiast - Level 1

thinking of going back to comcast, ay least everything works like it should. I was with them for 5 years and no problems thought I would try fios and it was a little cheaper. I guess you get what you pay for!!

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@vett wrote:

I have the motorola 7232 hd dvr and the 7100 hd box. the problem is when I go to change the channel or go to the guide or any other function I will get  delay sometimesup to 1 min. it is very frustrating, this is the third box verizon has sent to me all with the same problem. any idea why? would the cisco boxs be better??

This is not a common problem, but is has been reported.  What type of TVs do you have connected to each box? 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

What worked for me was a display setting, 

Try menu /  Setting / video settings / sd override.   Switch it to either 480i or the preference that worked for me was OFF. 

0 Likes
vett2
Enthusiast - Level 1

there are three different tv's all with the same problem. 2 lcd's and one plazma

0 Likes
vett2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am trying the 480i and will see what happens

0 Likes
vett2
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK that didn't work. I think it is just crappy equipment

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@vett wrote:

OK that didn't work. I think it is just crappy equipment

No it is not "crappy equipment", because my 7232 that I have had for almost 1 1/2 years worked just fine, no delays at all, on multiple levels of the IMG until several months ago, probably 8 - 10 months after I got the latest level of the IMG (1.9.1). Something happened in the last two - three months, Verizon sent out some minor update or something, that caused the delays.

I have been getting delays when changing channels, and occasionally when I try other functions, like viewing the Guide or hitting the DVR button. But nothing like a minute, usually more like 5 - 15 seconds or so.

Changing the SD Override setting will only affect one thing, changing channels between SD and HD channels, in either direction. It will have absolutely no effect when going from one HD channel to another, or one SD channel to another. And whether it is really visible or not apparently depends on the TV; I have a 7 year old Sony LCD that is very much affected by the SD Override setting, but I have two new Samsung LCDs that seem not to be affected at all. What potentially causes the delay is the need for the STB and the TV to re-negotiate the HDMI settings when switching between 480-anything and HD, and some TVs apparently are just faster doing that than others. But setting SD Override Off causes everything to be sent to the TV in HD, even the SD channels (although they do not actually appear in HD).

I tried pulling the power from the DVR, running the STB Auto-Correction, etc., multiple times, nothing helped.

Now the good news, at least for me. I had the TV on Sunday night and had the problem, then left town Monday morning. When I came home yesterday afternoon, I found that the problem had disappeared!!!! I have no idea why or when. But where button pushes would be completely ignored at times, or stored up and then executed bang, bang, bang, none of that happened yesterday. And today it is still working correctly. I wish I knew why, but I am not going to complain, and of course I hope it continues working correctly.

So maybe there is hope for you soon; I didn't do anything to fix it, so I guess Verizon did.

Keller, TX 76248

Latency problems with STB
KidHorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have 2 DVRs and one regular HD box on 3 different TVs. All have severe latency problems. Sometimes I can't access one of the DVRs. When I refresh devices, it sometimes refreshes properly and sometimes it doesn't. It seems like every couple of minutes or so, there's a 30 second period where no commands can be processed. They queue up and then all run quickly. I called and had the router replaced. It didn't help. When I watch anything on-demand, it will freeze up for about 30 seconds every few minutes. It seems like the network connection fails periodically. It's driving me crazy. This all seemed to start a few months ago and has only gotten worse.

Internet access from my computer seems to work fine. Telephone works fine. If I watch a regular show and don't use the remote at all, the show will play fine without interruption. It seems like anything MOCA network related has severe latency issues. I run everything through a 8 port coaxial amplifier.

Is it possible I replaced a bad router with another bad router?

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
KidHorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem. I have 2 DVRs and one regular HD box and all have latency problems. On-Demand is unusable as it freezes up for about 30 seconds every couple of minutes. Sometimes I can't see both of my DVR's. Only one shows up after having it refresh devices. I've tried unplugging and resetting. It helps for a few minutes, then the problem returns. I had my router replaced. It didn't help. The problems first showed up a couple of months ago.

0 Likes