Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
nysnowbird92
Enthusiast - Level 2

i have the same problem with the guide and filled out the form that says we'll receive a response in a business day.. it's been a week and i've heard nothing.  I have the old qip2500 box from around 2007 when we first signed up. 

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittent - Another example in NJ
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

We are having the same latency problems on our QIP 7232 as those described by other writers.  Delays, freezing, etc.  Location: central NJ.

0 Likes
Re: DVR Slow Response Issue - Comment
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

I haven't had time to completely research this issue, but I have noticed that it (DVR/STB freezing, DVR/STB slow response, DVR/STB incorrect response, etc.) has made "headlines" on this board, on DSLReports, on AVS Forum, and probably elsewhere.  In short, it is a well recognized and documented issue.  Since the problem is widespread and has been observed for at least a few weeks, it is clear that the issue is not traceable to user hardware, user configuration, or related sources.  Is must therefore be due to software errors within IMG 1.9.1.

Recently an unannounced upgrade to IMG 1.9.1 that enabled a certain audio alert (the "delete alert" on DVRs) also disabled the Dolby 5.1 stream for many users.  The issue was discussed on this board as well as DSLReports, and workarounds were posted in each location.  The reason I mention this problem together with the DVR issue is because the audio alert update provided an example of a premature software release that had not been fully tested in the field.  I was reminded of the days when each Microsoft OS release was described as "a beta release that we had to pay for."

I suspect that the DVR issue and the audio alert issue will ultimately be traced to IMG 1.9.1 updates that were not thoroughly tested prior to general distribution.  I may be totally out in left field with this statement, and I would certainly appreciate comments from other users more qualified than I am to make such an evaluation.  Further, it would be nice to hear from Verizon on the current status of these issues and what the company is doing to provide relief to its customers.

Justin46
Legend

@armond_in_nj wrote:

I haven't had time to completely research this issue, but I have noticed that it (DVR/STB freezing, DVR/STB slow response, DVR/STB incorrect response, etc.) has made "headlines" on this board, on DSLReports, on AVS Forum, and probably elsewhere.  In short, it is a well recognized and documented issue.  Since the problem is widespread and has been observed for at least a few weeks, it is clear that the issue is not traceable to user hardware, user configuration, or related sources.  Is must therefore be due to software errors within IMG 1.9.1.

Recently an unannounced upgrade to IMG 1.9.1 that enabled a certain audio alert (the "delete alert" on DVRs) also disabled the Dolby 5.1 stream for many users.  The issue was discussed on this board as well as DSLReports, and workarounds were posted in each location.  The reason I mention this problem together with the DVR issue is because the audio alert update

provided an example of a premature software release that had not been fully tested in the field.  I was reminded of the days when each Microsoft OS release was described as "a beta release that we had to pay for."

I suspect that the DVR issue and the audio alert issue will ultimately be traced to IMG 1.9.1 updates that were not thoroughly tested prior to general distribution.  I may be totally out in left field with this statement, and I would certainly appreciate comments from other users more qualified than I am to make such an evaluation.  Further, it would be nice to hear from Verizon on the current status of these issues and what the company is doing to provide relief to its customers.

I agree with everything in your post. Not sure if I am more qualified to make such an evaluation though..... Smiley Very Happy

My experience with the problem is slightly different than most of you though. I had the problem develop 3 or 4 months ago, it lasted until several weeks ago, when most (but not all) of the problems disappeared. I am in North Texas (VHO 1), I know at least one other resident of North Texas reported that his symptoms had also mostly disappeared. What I am left with now is only occasional failures to recognize a button press on the remote - the LED on the DVR does not blink at all, but a second press is pretty much always recognized. I can generally press the buttons as fast as I want, channel up/down for example, and while the DVR (7232) is slow (slower than with 1.9, for example), it actually sees all of the presses most of the time, and catches up completely when I quit pushing buttons (I have resorted to counting button presses to make sure it really is seeing all of the presses). And my QIP7100-P2 STBs have never exhibited the problem, unlike many other people.

I don't know why, but it appears Verizon is completely unwilling to acknowledge that this problem exists, or take any action to fix it. I can assure you that I and other Community Leaders here have tried very, very hard to get some attention to this problem, because it is very much real, but without success. But maybe later today, or tomorrow, or next week, or next month, or next year, or????? Very frustrating.

Keller, TX 76248

nysnowbird92
Enthusiast - Level 2

does anyone know what it takes to have new boxes sent to replace 6 year old qip2500 boxes we've had since we signed up?  using the guide and any navigation is basically a one second or so delay between press and response from the system.. 

do they send boxes out to replace old equipment?  i read this in another post

"If someone wants the guide full screen with HD graphics, they simply need to call in, tweet, post on forum or facebook and we will overnight a replacement."

--- and ---

"What I am saying is that if someone is having a compatibility issue with an older 2500 or 6xxx series due to the 1.9 rollout, we will upgrade them to a newer 2500 or a 7100 or 7216 for free. They will not get a free upgrade to a 7232."

how do we go about getting free replacements if they never respond when we fill out the form asking for them?  I can't call without being able to use a telephone.. i don't get why it's so hard to ask for them in the form and have them sent..   i just went through all the generic fixes with a tech person (resetting router etc..), but this isn't the problem.. i have old boxes that need to be updated to function correctly.  He told me he could forward me to billing and that there might be a charge for them.  Why should I have to pay because their equipment isn't giving me proper service? how can one tech say the bolded above and the next tech charge for replacement box?  This slow guide is enough for me to cancel my service period.

i made a topic on this but it was locked for some reason.. i can't get any response from verizon

0 Likes
nysnowbird92
Enthusiast - Level 2

for me it's just in navigation using the guide or anything else.. i feel like i'm sending radio signals to the moon and back..  however, things like entering a password using the remote runs at correct speed, pretty much as fast as i can press the remote the box receives it and lights up, it goes to verizon, and comes back entering my letters on the screen.. so i know the signal is getting from the remote to the box, on to verizon and back fine..  it's just the navigation of the guide.. i press forward, or up and down channel.. for each press i have a delay in response.. i have to keep track in my head how many clicks i've made and wait for the system to catch up to me.. using the guide is the worst part of subscribing to them for me.. i'm frustrated whenever i try to see what's on using the guide.. at a time of supposed relaxation i just want to break the tv.. it's not worth being a customer if i can't get this fixed.. they will not respond to me.. i was cut off yesterday talking to a tech going through the basic problems that aren't my actual problem.. and the supervisor never called me back.. i've send out forms 3 times now asking for boxes or anyone to reply to me.. it's been a week or more and i have nothing.. the form says we'll be contacted within a business day.   My entire house is wired for verizon.. tv, net and phone.. but i just want to rip all their wires out and throw them into the street if this is how they treat people.

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
KidHorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wonder who is working on resolving this. Is it just one guy who sometimes posts 'we're working on it' or are they making a serious effort to fix this? It seems to me they haven't made this a high priority.

0 Likes
Re: Latency problems with STB
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@KidHorn wrote:

... My problem seems to be ... related to the 1.9.1 software update.

Agreed, and I believe there's plenty evidence to support this position (see my earlier post).  At least two instances of problems with IMG 1.9.1 have occurred in recent weeks.  It sure would be nice to hear VZ acknowledge these issues and at least reassure us that there is work going on to determine the cause and the fix.

0 Likes
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

If the problem is IMG 1.9.1, wouldn't it affect everyone ? I also noticed the "audio alert" and loss of Dolby 5.1 last week and had to do a box reset to get Dolby 5.1 working again. My old DVR that I traded in about a year ago was having issues with rebooting during turn-on a couple times every week.

0 Likes
KidHorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not necessarily everyone. There could be a bug that only occurs under certain circumstances. Like you have to be subscribed to particular channels and have 2 DVRs. Or you have to be at least 2 miles from a hub.

0 Likes