Re: Latency problems with STB
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@KidHorn wrote:

Not necessarily everyone. There could be a bug that only occurs under certain circumstances. Like you have to be subscribed to particular channels and have 2 DVRs. Or you have to be at least 2 miles from a hub.

Also there is a possibility that updates to IMG 1.9.1 have not been rolled out to all areas simultaneously (evidently standard practice).  This is discussed in some depth on DSLReports.

0 Likes
nysnowbird92
Enthusiast - Level 2

well they checked my equipment and it's all up to date.. i have the latest 2500 version box.. so i guess i'm stuck?

this youtube video shows exactly how slow my guide is..

slow response with guide

you have to keep track of clicks in your head and wait for the guide to respond..   i don't know if they designed it this way or not..  it just doesn't appear the equipment is powerful enough to keep up with our commands.. which is frustrating..  we can do an instant chat across the world with 30mbps.. entire words hit my screen as though the person is in the room with me..  why does it have to feel like i'm talking to neil armstrong by radio on the moon using the fios guide?  if this is how it is i wish they would figure out a way for it to be more useable.. it doesn't matter how pretty it is if it's frustrating to use..  honestly, most often it's the only real frustration i face in my day is using this guide.. and i can count on it being a frustration every time i use it.   it's not worth it is it?  the only thing that sets fios tv apart from the others for me is what you offer that they don't.. and that's the guide.. if i can get a good picture with a useable guide elsewhere.. why stay with frustrating verizon?  it doesn't make sense.

0 Likes
nysnowbird92
Enthusiast - Level 2

after searching around i think the best explanation is that we have the SD boxes.. and there are no SD box upgrades to handle the new system..  if we want proper service we have to upgrade to HD service, or at least have HD boxes and run SD on them.. (but it doesn't make sense because i see people with 6000 and 7000 series HD boxes have trouble too)...  how do i go about getting HD boxes.. and how much is the cost to me?  i already pay more now for being a long time customer than new people coming in.. which is ridiculous to me.. usually there are perks for staying with a company..   i don't want to pay to upgrade for something i don't want, especially when i'm already paying more than my next door neighbor for the same service.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@nysnowbird92 wrote:

... after searching around i think the best explanation is that we have the SD boxes.. and there are no SD box upgrades to handle the new system..  if we want proper service we have to upgrade to HD service, or at least have HD boxes and run SD on them.. (but it doesn't make sense because i see people with 6000 and 7000 series HD boxes have trouble too)... ..

Many users with QIP 7232 boxes are seeing this issue, so it's not an SD vs HD issue.  As you pointed out, "it doesn't make sense" to suggest this is the issue.  The issue lies within the IMG 1.9.1 software, and particularly within some of the untested updates.  Let's get it on, VZ!  I know you can do it.

0 Likes
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

I just lost Dolby 5.1 again a few minutes ago. I had to reset box to fix this sound issue. Anyone else having this issue ?

Edit: I just noticed the Audio Alert is gone. Also, switching channels seems much faster for some reason. I wonder if they put something in the stream today (instead of fish).

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
dkautter

Yes same problem here in Arlington VA...started about 4 weeks ago..takes up to 60 seconds to change changes, go thru the guide...it is very very frustrating.  Verizon needs to fix this in the very near term.  I have loved FiOS for a very long time...and frankly this is one of the first issues I have had but this is a big one and needs to be fixed.  I have tried rebooting, unplugging...it may fix it for a while but then it always returns and takes 30-45 seconds to change the channel again.

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
nysnowbird92
Enthusiast - Level 2

and if one more person suggests i change the batteries in my remote i'm going to lose it! 

0 Likes
Expect your STB to fail completely soon
proxli
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't know this was an ongoing issue. The same general scenarios talked about in this thread occurred to my 7216 STB. I would press keys on the remote, the front panel of the STB would flash the green light indicating it received the signal, but the action in the STB would be delayed, e.g., the channel changing, the guide opening, the menu opening, and scrolling through channels or options in the menu. (It is not a remote issue, the same will occur if you use the buttons on the STB.) The delays started short and intermittently, but then gradually increase in frequency and in the delay for the STB to respond. Anyone else experiencing an occasional one-second picture freeze too?

My box started to reboot itself frequenctly and completely died last weekend. I'm on a new 7216 now. But if it truly is a software problem, I guess I can expect the same problem to keep recur. And if this happens to a lot of people, Verizon will end up getting a huge UPS bill, all because some exec wanted some dumb gizmo widget pushed out on the IMG before it was fully tested.

0 Likes
Re: Expect your STB to fail completely soon
bob4281
Enthusiast - Level 2

Would be nice if a Verizon Employee or Verizon moderator would chime in and at least say they are working on the problem.  Nowhere have I found where verizon will comment on the problem. They should at least send a message to the affected VHO saying there is an issue and they are working on it.  Updates should be posted every two days.  Can't believe they can not find the problem. In addition, those who are affected get free premium channels for 3 months.  The customer service sucks.

HD STB/DVR Box Channel Change Delay & Random Picture Blackout
FromPA1

I, too, have experienced problems with changing channels via the channel menu.  As described by others, there is often a long delay.  Also, over the past three weeks or so I've experienced a random screen blackout while watching a show.  The screen will go blank for anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds or so.  If I channel up or down the blacked out screen returns to normal.  Have to wonder if both issues are related and are connected to the most recent Version Fios Motorola box firmware update.  The autocorrect and reset of the STB have had no impact on the problem.

0 Likes