Random Picture Blackout & Channel Change Delay Issue
FromPA1

About four weeks ago I noticed that channel changes executed from the channel menu were very slow and often would freeze.  This seems to happen most often when I first power-up the Verizon Fios Motorola HD/DVR STB box.  Another problem that developed around the same time was random blackouts of the TV picture.  These blackouts are random and last, typcially, from 1 to 5 seconds or so.  I've reset the box and utilized the auto-correct feature on the In Home Agent multiple times and it's not taken care of either problem.  The onset of these problems seems to correlate with the last Verizon FIOS firmware update.  I'd appreciate hearing from others with similiar issues.

0 Likes
Re: Random Picture Blackout & Channel Change Delay Issue
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

Now that you brought it up, I seem to remember some HD channels going black and having to switch to their SD counterparts to finish watching my show. I think this was about 1-2 months ago but I'm not sure. Today, my HD DVR froze when I pressed the guide button and I had to wait almost a minute to regain control of the box. All remote presses during the freeze made the box LED blink. After the freeze, all the remote commands started. This is getting more annoying every day. Come on Verizon.........

0 Likes
KidHorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the last 2 days, my DVR has been much more responsive. Not a single delay. During the week, I only get an hour or so to watch TV each night, so this isn't a large sampling. Maybe Verizon did something?

Since Verizon doesn't communicate, I guess i'll never know.

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@KidHorn wrote:

... Since Verizon doesn't communicate, I guess i'll never know.

Agreed.  A "we're working on it" blurb would be sufficient.  C'mon VZ, we know ya kin do it.

0 Likes
Re: Latency problems with STB
nysnowbird92
Enthusiast - Level 2

the response i got in regard to my having SD boxes that aren't up to date enough to handle the new system

'The fact that you have SD is not the problem. We have numerous customers with those 2500 boxes who do not have this problem. I personally have three 2500's and do not have this problem. The technical specs on the boxes are the same. The HD boxes are not faster than the non HD boxes. They have the same amount of processing power and memory.'

so they're going to send 'another stronger command' to my boxes and see what happens.. but it's odd that all 3 boxes in my home act the same way with the guide.. yet others with the 2500s have no trouble at all..  this doesn't sound like a box problem..  maybe the router?  I have no trouble with the speed of the router.. we have 20mbps (though it's testing at 10mbps right now for some reason)..  it's just in communicating the guide (plus v.o.d. and searching) and making it respond as quickly as it should...

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
m0nd0

I have the same problem! Set top box QIP7232-p

0 Likes
Aelfwine

I have exactly the same problem here, and it started within the past month. On first power-up each day, and for some time after, choosing a channel to change to from the guide will cause the DVR to become unresponsive for about 1 minute, and then the channel finally changes and the DVR becomes responsive again.

0 Likes
nysnowbird92
Enthusiast - Level 2

they sent the 'stonger command' to my box.. reset it.. and it still didn't change.. they're all still slow as hell..   so given that the verizon employee with three 2500 boxes just like mine has no trouble with his.. and i have trouble with all 3 of mine, what does this say?  somehow their guide and navigation isn't getting to my home in the same way.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

please refer to your original support case and let the verizon employees know that you are still having an issue.  

@nysnowbird92 wrote:

they sent the 'stonger command' to my box.. reset it.. and it still didn't change.. they're all still slow as hell..   so given that the verizon employee with three 2500 boxes just like mine has no trouble with his.. and i have trouble with all 3 of mine, what does this say?  somehow their guide and navigation isn't getting to my home in the same way.

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
Photoflash1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have two 7232 DVRs, and each one locks up for about a minute when I'm trying to change the channel.

This problem started just recently, and I have had one 7232 for many months, and it's been working fine. Until now.
0 Likes