Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

avemaria92 wrote:

ok, for the sake of argument, you're my neighbor and don't have the problem.. now what? how about Verizon tells me what the problem is and fixes it?

this isn't me in this video but the slowness is what i deal with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hc4xqniJx4

My DVR (qip7232 2) responds much faster than that video. I can step through about 4 channels in a second but it will not keep up to faster pressing though. This slight lag or delay doesn't bother me at all. 

0 Likes
WntGtFooldAgn

This is our Remote Control dance...Every time we turn on the TV...it is brutal, but this is what we have to deal with...

Turn on the TV.

Last channel watched appears.

Remote non functional for 1-2 minutes

We can only watch whatever channel was active prior to the last TV shut off.

After 1-2 min, (a few times it has been 3 minutes) the guide and channel changing will work

The VOD dance:

Press Blue search button. Search for a movie, find it, and select ...

wait...wait... VOD_268 Timeout error. try again later.

We do....same thing.

we do again...an hour later after we watch something else...same thing.

Comcast is looking good to me right about now.

We live in MA....I guess we are awaiting some new build or update that will update on its own?

0 Likes
ArmchairAllstar

You're not alone.  I live in MA as well and have resorted to just walking away from my TV after turning it on.  If you press the guide button while its non-responsive it even makes it worse.  My neighbor has the newer boxes and although there is some lag its not nearly as bad.

The worst is when I mistakenly navigate to a channel that I don't have.  Because of the laggy dialog I can be stuck on that channel for a few minutes.

0 Likes
WntGtFooldAgn

Anyone know what the termination fee is going to be? 

We are 13 months into a 2yr commitment.

0 Likes
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

for us on our 2 year commitment it's $230 and it's prorated at $10 per month.. so if you've completed 13 months, it would take $130 off of that..

ArmchairAllstar

"Anyone know what the termination fee is going to be?

We are 13 months into a 2yr commitment."

If you aren't getting the service for a contract that you signed the fee should be voided.  If they give you problems a letter to the BBB should take care of it.  The contract goes both ways.

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittent
WntGtFooldAgn

UPDATE:

I switched to Comcast.

The Comast tech left the house and 20 min later I turned on the TV, SAME THING HAPPENED. The Remote didnt work!!!! Ahhh! This is a now using a Comcast DVR, remote and service...so I said hmmmmm...

Went to Samsung site, Downloaded new Firmware for my Model TV , put the files on a thumb drive and plugged the stick into the USB Service Port in back of Samsung TV.

Menu > Settings > Service Update and updated ...TV rebooted and guess what?

Well, its been 2 days now of using it and , no problem at all. No issues , the Remote works just fine now.

Wow, I guess if I figured this out prior to switching it *could* have prevented me from bailing on Verizon. But there were other reasons for the switch. Like the lame-o OnDemand selection on Fios.

I am saving some money...I figure after the fees and taxes, Comcast is about $28 a month cheaper than Verizon.

Live and Learn, then live some more.

0 Likes
rbperrie1
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is a little known issue that plasma TVs can put out enough IR radiation to interfere with the operation of many remote controls. Here is a little bit of info on the subject (http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-358756/ir-cable-box-remote-interference-with-samsung-plasma/) and if you do a Google search you'll find a ton of it out there. For me I came across the issue when I finally figured out that my remote would only work when I had the smoked glass doors of the A/V cabinet closed. Apparently it would knock down enough of the total IR that it would not wash out the IR receiver in the STB.

0 Likes
ArmchairAllstar

What model of Samsung TV do you have?  Is it a plasma? 

On mine its different because it responds to my click it just takes forever to respond.  Mine isn't missing input commands it just responds to them really slowly for the first few minutes.

0 Likes
rbperrie1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue is with all plasma TVs irregardless of manufacturer although some do put out more IR than others. The other contributing factor is screen size, the larger the TV the more IR it puts out.  But be careful not ot confuse the issues, I have a 54" Panasonic which had the IR problem with the remote which I fixed as noted above. It sounds like you have the latency issue that will only be fixed by the firmware upgrade that is being rolled out and has been discussed in depth through this thread. With the latency issue you will see the light on the STB acknowlege the command from the remote but nothing happens. With the IR problem you will not see any acknowledgement from the STB.

0 Likes