Re: Very slow channel change - intermittent
PJL
Master - Level 3

@charliebarrett wrote:

I don't think this has anything to do with Plazma vs LCD TV's ...

If this were the case, I would expect to see it on my Plasma and LCD TVs.  But I never have the issue

0 Likes
KidHorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

The number of scheduled programs to record could be the cause of my issues. I noticed the last time the freezing happened my daughter scheduled about 50 shows to record without using a series manager. I don't know the exact cause of the delay but I think it's because of a slow response from a server request and if a request is frequently made for each scheduled recording, that could explain it. I agree running the request as a background thread or using an asynchronous request would probably help.

I loved the rant about fast programmers getting things 90% done and handling it off for someone else to finish. I know exactly what you're talking about.

0 Likes
Gina0503

I was having the same problem. Everything was fine one day, the next everything was all glitched up. Slow and unresponsive, unwatchable. After about an hour on the phone with Verizon they determined it wasn't the box, but a cable. I switched out the cable going to my box, FIXED! No more glitches or delays.

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
charliebarrett
Contributor - Level 2
My DVR was slow changing channels, and turning off the "Recommendations" setting helped some. I think all it does is try to get you to buy movies on demand.

There's another similar option but I forgot what it's called.
0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
KR8CAOS
Enthusiast - Level 2

A couple of things need to be addressed here.  First of all, yes, when you press a button on your remote control, you want the box to respond.  If you are like most people then you probably press the button 5 more times, and then wait for something to happen, only to see your box process all of the commands when it feels like it, sometimes super fast. Kinda like when internet explorer doesnt open on the first click, and before you know it there are 10 windows open on your computer. 

Be sure that your stb is in a well ventilated area, these are basically just mini computers and without the proper ventilation the box will over heat and then slow down.  This is more noticeable on DVR's because there is more going on inside and they over heat faster.  but it will happen to any type of box, and has since the inception of the first Digital box.  So if it is happening more when you are watching tv for a while, I would say more than a copule of hours, then that is most likely the cause.  you can go into the diagnostic menu and check the temp settings of the stb when it happens.  The stbs usually will reboot when they reach a certain temp threshold, but like a command from the remote, that function sometimes won't work either.  So you would be wise to just unplug it for a few minutes.  If it is in an enclosed entertainment stand then you should get yourelf a small fan and position it within the enclosure to circulate more air.  Never put anything on the stb, evn a single sheet of paper can cause it to over heat.  Here is the important note, if your stb has gotten to the point of over heating so many times, it is probably time to get a new stb.  Just keep in mind that you need to be diligant about placing it in a well ventilated area, with NOTHING on top of it. 

Also be sure to try a remote from another room to rule out the remote control, they are universal between the stbs.  remember to return that remote to its original tv/stb room when you are done testing that.

Good luck

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittently
COMET65
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the Motorola 7232 - HD  DVR :  It was responding slowly, and sometimes not at all.  When attempting to clean the sensor window on the box,   I noticed there was a clear-plastic cover on the front. I peeled it off.   After that my box has been working perfectly.

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittently
logan81
Contributor - Level 3
Big question for everyone with this problem, Do you have the MRDVR feature (meaning you can view recordings from remote STB's). I am just curious if there is a correlation. Now there are a few things that we can try to help this issue (yes it is a known issue). First of all delete programs from your DVR until it is under 80% full. Power cycle the DVR and if you have the MRDVR feature power cycle all STB's in the house and power cycle the router as well. The reason I say that is because the DVR is acting like a server, serving the other STB's in the house the information for what is recording on its hard drive and it does this via the router. If you have an unreliable connection between STB's (dropping packets) then that could cause a problem because the DVR keeps trying to send packets to the remote STB's (this is my therory anyways) food for thought, good luck.
0 Likes
charliebarrett
Contributor - Level 2

KidHorn wrote:

...I loved the rant about fast programmers getting things 90% done and handling it off for someone else to finish. I know exactly what you're talking about.

And now we all have an even better exanple of what lack of testing and only finishing the software past the 90% mark causes, other than the Verizon DVR software bugs: The ObamaCare website 🙂

0 Likes
spjung

I was having a problem with our Cisco CHS 435HDC DVR set-top box. The box wouldn't respond very well to the remote. The FiOS Mobile app could control the TV just fine.  Verizon support eventually solved it. He had me lower the brightness on my plasma TV. Apparently the screen can interfere with the IR transmitter on the remote.

0 Likes
VzTvVictim
FYI, now two years in, this problem continues. Mine didn't appear until last month, and it's the same symptom as others experienced: channel change takes 20 seconds to function, commands are stored and executed en-masse. Makes the service unusable. Motorola QIP6416-2 HD/DVR
0 Likes