Re: Video Media Server Installation Experience
joker211
Contributor - Level 1
This is what I'm offered - either $41.98 or $51.98 a month. I guess I'm confused about what equipment I'll get and what I'm being charged for.

MONTHLY PRICE
Equipment Package - 2 TVs
$19.98

Choose Recording Services
FiOS QuantumSM TV - Enhanced Service 
$22.00
      • Record up to 6 programs at a time
      • Pause, rewind live TV and play back recorded programs on up to 5 TVs.
          • 1 Terabyte (TB) of storage = 100 hours HD/500 hours SD programming.

So  I have a 2 tv Multi room DVR set up .  One DVR and ond HD box.  I pay $27.98  for the 2rm package they call it

So by your numbers.  For me to upgrade to the VMS.  It will cost me $14 a month?  $168 a year?  For what 6 turners?  Is my figures right?

Tivo is looking like a better option. 

I read the DSL forum and the VMS seems like a downgrade in some areas.  Atleast untill they upgrade the VMS.  Which should of came ready after 3 years of waiting. 

Seriously disapointed.
0 Likes
joker211
Contributor - Level 1

Fios is winning hearts and minds againSmiley Happy

Making people wait all Day.  Lie that the guy is coming and then cancel the apointmet.  Do they care that someone took off work to wait for them?

0 Likes
VMS 1100 Problems
geefco

Received my Quantum TV upgrade and love the hardware, but the software is no good.

The IMG version is older than the one I left from the Anyroom DVR and is riddled with bugs.

Does anyone know if Mobile Remote on the My FIOS App works with the VMS 1100 and IPC's?  Although I can schedule recordings from my phone, I cannot use the Mobile Remote.  It continues to fail finding my STB.  I have rebooted my router and VMS.

The guide is so far behind XFinity.  I feel like the FIOS guide used to be much better than Xfinity, but since X1, Xfinity has leap frogged past FIOS.  The colors are off, filters work inconsistently and most functions seems slow which is a shame on newer hardware.  Everything just feels old.

Anyone else having similar experiences?

0 Likes
Re: VMS 1100 Problems
Justin46
Legend

@geefco wrote:

Received my Quantum TV upgrade and love the hardware, but the software is no good.

The IMG version is older than the one I left from the Anyroom DVR and is riddled with bugs.

Does anyone know if Mobile Remote on the My FIOS App works with the VMS 1100 and IPC's?  Although I can schedule recordings from my phone, I cannot use the Mobile Remote.  It continues to fail finding my STB.  I have rebooted my router and VMS.

The guide is so far behind XFinity.  I feel like the FIOS guide used to be much better than Xfinity, but since X1, Xfinity has leap frogged past FIOS.  The colors are off, filters work inconsistently and most functions seems slow which is a shame on newer hardware.  Everything just feels old.

Anyone else having similar experiences?

There is a topic thread here specifically for VMS installation experience, why would you not post there? And if you haven't read that thread I encourage you to do so, you might find some useful information there.

What "bugs"? Please be specific, that will maybe help someone here to help you. I have had my VMS for two months now, the only real bug I have is the lack of support for the Aspect (#) button on the remote, it is just ignored. One other problem I had was fixed in the first code update.

I have no idea about Mobile Remote, have not tried to use it, and have no desire to do so, so can't help there, maybe someone else can.

OK, you don't like the colors on the VMS Guide; I do, I actually prefer the Guide on VMS compared to the most recent Guide on my old QIP DVR/STBs. But I am very sure that Verizon will deliver a  new code update that will include an updated Guide, to match what is available on the old STBs. I generally don't use the filters much, but when I have they have seemed to work, so again, tell us specifically what doesn't work. And as far as being slow, mine was slow in the beginning, but amazingly it seemed to get faster over a period of days, and then the new code release some weeks back helped even more. I can't say that it is now as fast as my old 7232 and 7100-P2 boxes, but it has gotten pretty close, at least for the most used functions.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
geefco

Thanks for moving this thread Justin.  Much appreciated.

The thread you started is very informative.

As far as the specific issues I am experiencing...

1. Genre-Filters not clearing after selected:  This worked on Anyroom DVR cisco IMG.
      a. Press Right on remote to bring up Genre and Filters

b. Select Movie and Go Right until you are viewing a listing of all movies.

c. Select a station

d. Now Press Up on the remote and you are presented with a listing of only Movies again.  (I have checked my settings to be sure that retain last viewed guide is disabled.)  On the IMG for Anyroom DVR, it would display a full listing not filtered for Movies.  Now if I want to see what is on other channels I need to Press Right again to bring up Genre and Filters and select All channels in order to see all channels again.  I much preferred not need to clear my filter each time I wanted to view content.

2. Other times when filtered and I haven't been able to pin this one down, but when filtered on subscribed channels and selecting a channel to view, it will not always go to the channel I selected, it will instead go to some random channel.

3. When viewing the Guide Pressing Up on the remote the Show descriptions don't go all the way to the right of the screen, underutilizing screen real estate.

4.  I'm glad to hear that speed has improved for you, hopefully I see the same soon.  I've had it since Saturday and nothing yet.

5. Hard to argue that the guide is old, relative to other providers and needs a face lift, I can't seem to find any information about plans for a new one anytime soon.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@geefco wrote:

Thanks for moving this thread Justin.  Much appreciated.

The thread you started is very informative.

As far as the specific issues I am experiencing...

1. Genre-Filters not clearing after selected:  This worked on Anyroom DVR cisco IMG.
      a. Press Right on remote to bring up Genre and Filters

b. Select Movie and Go Right until you are viewing a listing of all movies.

c. Select a station

d. Now Press Up on the remote and you are presented with a listing of only Movies again.  (I have checked my settings to be sure that retain last viewed guide is disabled.)  On the IMG for Anyroom DVR, it would display a full listing not filtered for Movies.  Now if I want to see what is on other channels I need to Press Right again to bring up Genre and Filters and select All channels in order to see all channels again.  I much preferred not need to clear my filter each time I wanted to view content.

2. Other times when filtered and I haven't been able to pin this one down, but when filtered on subscribed channels and selecting a channel to view, it will not always go to the channel I selected, it will instead go to some random channel.

3. When viewing the Guide Pressing Up on the remote the Show descriptions don't go all the way to the right of the screen, underutilizing screen real estate.

4.  I'm glad to hear that speed has improved for you, hopefully I see the same soon.  I've had it since Saturday and nothing yet.

5. Hard to argue that the guide is old, relative to other providers and needs a face lift, I can't seem to find any information about plans for a new one anytime soon.

You are welcome, but I did not actually move it, I just suggested to the Moderators that they do so. I just think it is best to try to keep all of the discussion in one thread if possible.

1) I normally have Genre-Filters disabled as I have never felt a need to search that way. But I did enable it and yes, it does work the way you describe. Since I didn't use the function before, and don't use it now, I don't really have an opinion on how it should work, BUT, I guess it seems logical to me that if I selected Movies as my option of things to view that the developers now feel like it makes sense to stay within Movies until you specifically get out and select another option. For me it seems that it could honor the Left key to get back to the full choice of options but it doesn't. I wonder why it was changed; it could be that the developers made a change at the request of other customers, but I have no idea.

2) During my testing of Genre-Filters it kept going to a different channel than the one I selected until I realized the various  channels I was choosing were not available to me. But after I figured that out, every time I tried using the function it went to the channel I selected - very limited test though. (I actually did not try when using Subscribed Channels, I don't ever use that function because it still includes far, far too many channels that I have no interest in, I use the Favorites function to actually select only the channels I really care about ever watching). So sorry, I could not reproduce this problem.

3) This one I don't understand. When I am viewing the Guide, pressing Up just moves to the next lower numbered channel being displayed in the Guide. It has always done this. So I suspect I am not understanding what you are actually doing and expecting to happen.

4) It only took a few days, maybe 2 or 3 as best I remember, so maybe your speed won't improve further. I had Motorola boxes, I gather you had Cisco; I have been under the impression from posts here and other forums that the Cisco boxes were very slow, much slower than the most current Motorola boxes. Maybe that is wrong, but what I see on my VMS boxes is generally pretty good performace, with occasional lags that I have no explanation for, sometimes it just seems to want to take a rest or something. But the code update that was delivered a few weeks ago did improve things for me, and I have been led to believe that further performance improvements are coming. When? I have no clue, but hopefully soon.

5) Well I am an old guy, so to me old is good! Smiley Very Happy Seriously though, I have had FiOS TV since Sept. 2005, have gone through a bunch of changes of the Guide, and the rest of the IMG for that matter, and every time there has been a change there has been angst and cheering about the change. So I guess because we are all different Verizon can't win, there will always be some who like, and some who hate, any change they make (even adding a new channel gets good and bad comments, why can't you add the channel I want instead of that trash, etc.)

Anyway, I hope maybe some others here can chime in with either different perspectives, or maybe even solutions or circumventions to the issues you have. And of course I hope Verizon can deliver some new stuff that will help you. 

Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

castle1126
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally last night the Verizon tech on the phone set up a new appointment for Saturday at 8am.  After that I posted a tweet about my displeasure, which caused Verizon Support to want to work further with me.  Via tweets they sent me a link to their Live Chat tool, which I just clicked on now.  The person on the other end of this chat now tells me my appointment is set for tomorrow (Wednesday) not Saturday - as it was set for last night!!!  The person said the system didn't have any note of Saturday!  I had the live chat person set the appointment to Saturday first install.  Let's see if they stick with that - or if I come home to a note on the door saying "Verizon was here".

0 Likes
joker211
Contributor - Level 1

castlle1126

Where did you make the tweet to get there attention?

@castle1126 wrote:

Finally last night the Verizon tech on the phone set up a new appointment for Saturday at 8am.  After that I posted a tweet about my displeasure, which caused Verizon Support to want to work further with me.  Via tweets they sent me a link to their Live Chat tool, which I just clicked on now.  The person on the other end of this chat now tells me my appointment is set for tomorrow (Wednesday) not Saturday - as it was set for last night!!!  The person said the system didn't have any note of Saturday!  I had the live chat person set the appointment to Saturday first install.  Let's see if they stick with that - or if I come home to a note on the door saying "Verizon was here".

0 Likes
castle1126
Enthusiast - Level 2

My first tweets went to @VerizonFios and #FiOSQuantumTV.  @VerizonFios got back to me and got @VerizonSupport involved.  I tweeted tonight's fiasco to @VerizonSupport and #FiOSQuantumTV.

0 Likes
joker211
Contributor - Level 1

@castle1126 wrote:

@my first tweets went to @VerizonFIOS and #FiOSQuantumTV.  @VerizonFIOS got back to me and got @VerizonSupport involved.  I tweeted tonight's fiasco to @VerizonSupport and #FiOSQuantumTV.

I had a similar customer service experience.  Bottom line because a Fios tech made a mistake and left a wire attached to main box as he pulled away with a truck.  He left 20 plus homes in the dark with no service.  Insead of staying there and checking each connection.  They waited for people   to call and complain and take a day off of work for their mess/mistake.

So I had a 8am appointmet.  Then I called at 11am.  Where is he?  They called dispatch.  they said by 1pm.  I called at 1:30pm.  Where is he?  They called dispatch.  They said by 3 pm.   I called 3:30 pm.  Where is he?  They called dispatch.  They said by 5pm.  I called at 6 pm Where the HECK is he?  They called dispatch and dispatch wrote in my account.  DO NOT CALL DISPATCH anymore.  They acted like I was a nusciance to them.   I was like seriously???  You caused the outage with an inept tech.  Then you make me take off work.  Lie to me every few hours.  Missed the orginal appointmet time.  Then have the nerve to write in my account not to call dispatch because we are bothering them.  &$^$&#*

The tech shows up at 8:15pm or 8:30pm and says it was at main box.  Goes there and then comes back in 15 minutes and says all fixed.

SERIOUSLY.  How dare they do this to people.   We are treated like garbage and then they act like we are bothing them?

Here is an idea.  Why doesn't fios keep their appoiments and stop lying to customers.

0 Likes