Re: Video Media Server Installation Experience
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I posted this elsewhere, but for those with slow laggy response in the menu, and on demand, try this.

From my experience, this is a good fix for it. It has to do with the way your TV and the STB are interacting for video processing. Normally when it's laggy, there's a setting in your stb that the TV does not like, and they fight for video processing control.

It's worked in the past on motorola, and I have had it work for quite a few friends with VMS.

So click menu>settings>audio & Video> Video > SD Override.

This is where the conflicting setting resides. This is SD override not HD override, so DO NOT worry about how this affects your 1080 i or p settings, because it doesn't affect those whatsoever.

The trick here is that, whatever setting you have, is the bad one, so change it (and this varies from TV to TV so no one set answer)

My recommendation is this.

If it's set for stretch, change it to either OFF or 480i/p

If it's OFF then change it to 480i/p or stretch

Test it on each setting.

You might have to make a judgement call, some people that like stretch and have to change it will get black bars on some SD channels only (again this doesn't affect HD)

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

I posted this elsewhere, but for those with slow laggy response in the menu, and on demand, try this.

From my experience, this is a good fix for it. It has to do with the way your TV and the STB are interacting for video processing. Normally when it's laggy, there's a setting in your stb that the TV does not like, and they fight for video processing control.

It's worked in the past on motorola, and I have had it work for quite a few friends with VMS.

So click menu>settings>audio & Video> Video > SD Override.

This is where the conflicting setting resides. This is SD override not HD override, so DO NOT worry about how this affects your 1080 i or p settings, because it doesn't affect those whatsoever.

The trick here is that, whatever setting you have, is the bad one, so change it (and this varies from TV to TV so no one set answer)

My recommendation is this.

If it's set for stretch, change it to either OFF or 480i/p

If it's OFF then change it to 480i/p or stretch

Test it on each setting.

You might have to make a judgement call, some people that like stretch and have to change it will get black bars on some SD channels only (again this doesn't affect HD)

Hubrisnxs,

Either you do not have VMS or you have a different version of the Menu, because some of those options do not exist. With VMS all I have for SD Override are: OFF and Stretch. Nothing else.

I use OFF, have used OFF for my STBs since I first got FiOS TV way back in 2005, and yes, in some environments the SD Override setting had significant impact (for sure way back then switching between an HD and SD channel caused a 3-5 second delay, but with VMS on the exact same TV there is absolutely no performance difference between OFF and Stretch). I have tried both with VMS, it makes no perfornance difference on my setup, except that it distorts the SD picture (and that is why I want very badly for Verizon to deliver support for the Aspect (#) button on the remote).

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
swope12211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Justin, that's the same exact message I get.  I guess it's something Verizon has to fix on their end as it works for some and not others.  Thanks for taking the time to try this and saving me a phone call.

Eric

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@swope1221 wrote:

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could check something for me.  When I log in to verizon.com, and go to manage tv equipment and try to reset the parental control pin on one of my ip clients I get an error.  It does work for my media server.  Would someone mind seeing if they can reset their parental control pin on one of their ip clients and see if it works or not.  I just want to have some more background information before I call and they say it's just me.  Thanks.

Eric

The way it appeared to work for me (from the VMS and IPC) is ONLY the VMS has a parental control PIN. 

0 Likes
swope12211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi TNS_2, thanks for your input.  The reset does work for my media server via verizon.com, but it does not for either of my 2 ip clients.  The only reason I bring it up is a fellow Fios subscriber in the same VHO has both working.  I was just trying to find out if it's a bug that affects me only or others as well.  I'll attach two screenshots below.

Eric

IP client

Media Server

0 Likes
NHYankee1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Other than Verizon saying they hadn't received my returned devices when I knew they had them (I had UPS tracking data so was able to resolve issue via online chat) the only Quantum installation hitch was I didn't retrive my DVR stuff I had saved to "the cloud", my bad. No big deal to re-program the series as they change all the time anyway. Overall the system has worked very well. I absolutely do LOVE finally having more than 2 tuners! In addition to recording conflicts going away I no longer have to explain to the wife why she can't watch a live show on the DVR set.Smiley Very Happy I also like the Pause/Rewind/Fast forward on ALL TV's!

Other than slow VMS/STB response at times and an ocassional incorrect remote function being activated  (e.g. Next button activating audio mute) the only issue i have experienced is a selective HD channel lockup. The same network SD channels (which I never watch) work just fine but selective (but not all) HD channles are locked up. When I use th Guide to select the locked up HD channel it shows a picture, has no audio, and never goes to live TV.

The first time I saw this was on a client and I used a STB Reset  (Menu//Customer Support/Top Support Tools/Fix FIOS TV Issues) to fix the problem. This morning the problem occurred on the FOX News HD channel on  the TV connected to the VMS. I first tried the STB Reset on the VMS but the reset didn't appear to function correctly and the problem didn't go away. I tried the VMS STB Reset function on the VMS  a couple more times but kept getting a "Function not Currently Available" error message.

While I was trying to resolve this my wife was watching a client TV and said she was having what turned out to be the same problem with the CBS HD channel (NBC HD channel worked fine). I did a STB Reset on the client,  it appeared to function properly but the client CBS HD problem did not go away. I repeated the client STB Reset, it still appeared to work but I still had the locked up CBS HD channel. I did a power cycle on the router (saw it suggested somewhere) but no change. Next I checked the Connected Device Status (Menu/Customer Support/Top Support Tools/Connected Device Status) and all connections showed as being fine. I decided it must be a VMS issue and did a VMS power Off/Onreset (which also reset the router and TV), this resolved the HD lockup issue on both the VMS and the Client TV's so I'm guessing it was a VMS issue that required a hard reset to resolve.

I am retired high tech guy so I would guess the VMS system  is still in Beta test (i.e.  we are the testers) and as with a MS new software release when Service Pack 1 get installed things will get better.Smiley Happy

0 Likes