Video and Sound cuts out momentarily
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Been using FIOS TV for about 6 months now and up to this point the TV has been an old tube style TV.  Recently bought a flat screen TV (Samsung LED) and connected the TV to the 6416 box with the Verizon provided HDMI cable and for the most part things are great.  I do have IMG 1.7.

Every so often the video and audio cuts out for about 1-2 seconds.  I've been reading where people are having major issues with the HDMI and the recommendation has been to use the component cables.

I'm not sure if this problem is the same other have described but being only a momentarily issue occurring only 1-2 times a day its a minor annoyance.

Any idea why I have this issue?  

Thanks

Jim

0 Likes
Re: Video and Sound cuts out momentarily
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

Good day, jumpin68ny!

Let me start by offering my sincerest apologies for this inconvenience.  This issue has been ongoing for some time now and extends beyond Samsung and FiOS.  Unfortunately, Samsung appears to edperiencing the worst of it.

In any event, what's happening is a disruption in the "handshake" process between the 6416 and your TV via the HDMI ports.  The easiest fix is to use component cables rather than HDMI.  Component cables will support a high-def picture up to 1080i (HDMI will do 1080p).  Fortunately, at this time, television only broadcasts up to 1080i max, usually at 720p, so you would be missing out on absolutely nothing.  There is some debate as to whether or not you will see a difference in picture quality between component and HDMI.  My experience, and the general consensus of other "laymen" seems to be that quality is identical.

So my advice would be to stick with the component cables until a software fix is provided by either Samsung or Motorola.  Hopefully a permanent and more convenient fix is right around the corner!!!

Regards,

Chris

0 Likes
demonstr8r
Enthusiast - Level 3

@VZ_Christian wrote:

In any event, what's happening is a disruption in the "handshake" process between the 6416 and your TV via the HDMI ports.  The easiest fix is to use component cables rather than HDMI.  Component cables will support a high-def picture up to 1080i (HDMI will do 1080p).  

When I spoke with Verizon FiOS customer support, they offered to swap my 7216 STB for a 6416 as a solution to the HDMI problem, but you are saying this is a known problem with the 6416 box as well.  Why would I be offered a choice that wouldn't actually solve the problem? Oh wait, maybe some will consider that a rhetorical question.  🙂  Anyway, I'm glad I refused the offer to needlessly downgrade.

0 Likes
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

demonstr8r,

Though swapping your 7216 for a 6146 seems like a "downgrade" based on the # of the series of the box, both boxes can do/handle the same exact content that is currently offered with FiOS, so in reality it would not be a downgrade.

However, I can assure you that if you experienced a handshake issue with the 7216 you will experience it with a 6416 as well.  Anyone who claims to have experienced otherwise is nothing more than lucky and it's only a matter of time before the handshake issue rears its ugly head again.

Regards,

Chris

0 Likes
izzom

I have a Sony 46 XBR4 and experience similar issues.  When will this problem be resolved as it is a bit of a nuisance and from what I have been reading it is with all brands of TVs not just Samsung or Sony.  Why do we think its a TV problem and not the box?  My issue is that I have an AV reciever which has one dedicated HDMI cable from the reciever to the TV. Thanks.

0 Likes