Vizio TV audio problem with CHS435 CHS335 set top box
tyronethompson
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having a problem with intermittent audio dropouts and volume swings on my Vizio TV connected to the new CHS335 (and 435) set top boxes. Vizio's site says setting the box to output PCM audio will solve the issue. I have seen that others with Motorola boxes in this forum have been able to do this, however the solution involves getting to the advanced menus which I have not been able to find out how to do on the Cisco boxes. I even had a long chat and did not get anywhere so I am looking for some help here.

Thanks,

Tyrone

Re: Vizio TV audio problem with CHS435 CHS335 set top box
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Let me know too. I was told there is no hidden menu.

0 Likes
tyronethompson
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a similar response from my chat which was part of the reason I posted. I can understand not wanting someone to mess around with things they know little about, but I think their techs should at least be knowledgeable with their own equipment. There are posts in this forum on the issue going back at least a year so they are aware of the issue. The Vizio tech told me exactly what the issue was and how to solve it and now I have been three days trying to get a response. I am still waiting on that "direct contact." Probably not until Monday.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

My wife and daughter both watch TV on two different Vizio sets. And they had mentioned the audio drop out. I never seem to have a problem when I look at it. Intermittent problem. I have been looking for the menu, but it does not bother me as much. By the time I go upstairs, I am ready to sleep.Smiley LOL

I am sure the techs are very knowlegeable, but this may be a firmware issue that they can not changed without an update to the box. Much HDMI stuff is firmware because of copywrite issues regarding encryption, and the handshake between devices. Lucky the Motorola can be changed from what I have read on this forum. I have not found any settings back door. Not for the lack of trying.Smiley Wink

I posted this thread for Verizon, perhaps there will be a solution. I would say if no hidden menu, that setting should be in the Audio Settings for the STB.

0 Likes
tyronethompson
Enthusiast - Level 2

prisaz wrote:

My wife and daughter both watch TV on two different Vizio sets. And they had mentioned the audio drop out. I never seem to have a problem when I look at it. Intermittent problem. I have been looking for the menu, but it does not bother me as much. By the time I go upstairs, I am ready to sleep.Smiley LOL

Same situation here, my Vizio was upstairs and I did not notice it because most of the time I was just turning the TV off when I came up after my wife lef t it on. I had to temporarily bring it down and now it's the main TV.

I am sure the techs are very knowlegeable, but this may be a firmware issue that they can not changed without an update to the box. Much HDMI stuff is firmware because of copywrite issues regarding encryption, and the handshake between devices. Lucky the Motorola can be changed from what I have read on this forum. I have not found any settings back door. Not for the lack of trying.Smiley Wink

You actually make my point here. HDMI is not new and this problem with Vizio is not new. By now all their techs should already know if this is a firmware issue or whatever the real issue is since the problem has been identified, solved, and documented for over a year at least on the Motorola side. I am saying its OK for this to be a "black box" to the consumer, but a good tech ought to know what if anything can be done about it. I'm not saying its the person installing the box or answering the phone/email, but that Verizon ought to do better getting the information and solution out to their techs. The first Vizio tech I spoke to had all this information but obviously could not troubleshoot for Verizon equipment.

I posted this thread for Verizon, perhaps there will be a solution. I would say if no hidden menu, that setting should be in the Audio Settings for the STB.

prisaz
Legend

My question is why is there finger pointing. The solution to Motorola is to manually change it. It looks like a handshake issue. Who is not shaking hands correctly. I know the fix, But should it be Verizon or Vizio? Does Vizio not ask correctly, or does Verizon not respond to the request for PCM? Be it Motorola or Cisco. Seems like perhaps Vizio since both Vendors firmware is responding the same. The Vizio fix is to point the finger at the other Vendors and make you manually change it, if they are not requesting PCM? But then it is difficult to say. Perhaps we will get an answer on this soom. But not at 10PM Sunday night. Smiley LOL

0 Likes
tyronethompson
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think you misunderstand. There was no "finger pointing" until you introduced it in your last post. Vizio did not say it was Verizon's problem, just that the version of their TV that I have only supports PCM audio and that they were aware that it is possible to get PCM from Verizon. When I called Verizon, having already read through these forums and verified what the Vizio tech said, I was expectingtechnical support. I was hoping that someone would be able to walk me through the process or at least tell me why it wouldn't work. What I got was in my opinion at best a customer service answer and not what I would consider technical support. It seemed like no one at Verizon had a clue as to how the box worked or how to help me. So that is why my frustration is coming out.

I have since got a message from Verizon showing how to access the diagnostic screen which indeed shows that the box I have is putting out AC3 audio. I have also verified with Vizio that there is no upgrade to my TV that would allow it to interpret AC3. Thus I am still a frustrated customer. It would have been nice to at least have someone from Verizon confirm that the CHS 435 that I have can only put out AC3. Needless to say I still await technical support.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@tyronethompson wrote:

I think you misunderstand. There was no "finger pointing" until you introduced it in your last post. Vizio did not say it was Verizon's problem, just that the version of their TV that I have only supports PCM audio and that they were aware that it is possible to get PCM from Verizon. When I called Verizon, having already read through these forums and verified what the Vizio tech said, I was expectingtechnical support. I was hoping that someone would be able to walk me through the process or at least tell me why it wouldn't work. What I got was in my opinion at best a customer service answer and not what I would consider technical support. It seemed like no one at Verizon had a clue as to how the box worked or how to help me. So that is why my frustration is coming out.

I have since got a message from Verizon showing how to access the diagnostic screen which indeed shows that the box I have is putting out AC3 audio. I have also verified with Vizio that there is no upgrade to my TV that would allow it to interpret AC3. Thus I am still a frustrated customer. It would have been nice to at least have someone from Verizon confirm that the CHS 435 that I have can only put out AC3. Needless to say I still await technical support.

I do not want to be the one to bring bad news, but this may provide the answer you do not want. Now you may keep going after solution, and if you find one for the HDMI audio issue, then great let me know. I am pushing for one. Perhaps in the next software version. I have pointed this out in more than one private Verizon area, and that may be when the Empoyee passed on the hidden menu information. Perhaps the developers can do something. I try my best to help.

Sorry to call it finger pointing. It was not meant in a bad way. There is no way to force the CHS-435 to PCM. Not at this time. If you want a Verizon answer, perhaps someone will provide one. But mine is pretty close. I also have two Vizio TVs. Intermittent audio with HDMI. Component outputs with stereo RCA plugs will work, unless you want 5.1. I know they are bulky cables, but still provide 1080i.

I was not going to mention the diagnostic information, but since you did receive that information from Verizon in a PM, and know how to view it. I looked on my Samsung that is about 6 years old, and D05 HDMI Audio Format shows LPCM on the CHS-435. So the STB does support the format LPCM. NOT sure if that is the same as PCM. Just no way to force the setting. It seems as if the Vizio is not requesting it properly, or Verizon has the same issue on both the Motorola and Cisco hardware. Where it can be forced on the Motorola, but not on the Cisco. So who is to blame? That was my point. Sorry.  I still like the Cisco hardware better. I had Motorola for 5 years. HDMI has had many handshake issues with all vendors, many have been resolved but some have not.

Best regards to you.

Mark

0 Likes
tyronethompson
Enthusiast - Level 2

@prisaz wrote:
. . .  D05 HDMI Audio Format shows LPCM on the CHS-435. So the STB does support the format LPCM. NOT sure if that is the same as PCM. . . .
Are you saying here that the Verizon diagnostic screen on your 435 shows LPCM?
0 Likes