Voice Sync Problem
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

I'm having an ongoing problem.  The audio is not synced with the speakers' lips.  Sometimes it's way off and mostly it's just slightly off.  I've spoken to tech support a few times and their solution is to reset my systems.  While this fix improves the problem, it doesn't really fix it.  And with time, the voice goes out of sync back to where it was when I got annoyed enough to call in again.  The problem with the reset fix is that it always wipes out all my saved settings - Favorite channels, Series recordings, etc (and this even though tech support assures me that I won't lose these settings!).  Usually takes me awhile, over a few days to get everything back to where I had it before reset.  A real pain (especially since it doesn't really fix the problem)!   I don't recall any posts on this issue by other customers, so I wonder if maybe it's my equipment.  But, if it was happening on just one DVR this might be the case.  As it happens on both, I think that kinda rules the equipment out.  (Also, it happens with both live and recorded programs.)

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, have you gotten a resolution to it?

Thanks & Happy New Year to all!

Message Edited by speedo123 on 12-31-2008 09:51 AM
0 Likes
Re: Voice Sync Problem
matcarl
Master - Level 1
I've seen others complain about it too, and it happens to me to from time to time. It's mostly on the HD stations and it's not everyday. I'm not sure if it's Verizon or the station itself that is having the problem, but it is not your equipment. WGN seems to be the worst and people have said it's WGN's fault. We'll just have to hope they fix it in time.
0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

@matcarl wrote:
I've seen others complain about it too, and it happens to me to from time to time. It's mostly on the HD stations and it's not everyday. I'm not sure if it's Verizon or the station itself that is having the problem, but it is not your equipment. WGN seems to be the worst and people have said it's WGN's fault. We'll just have to hope they fix it in time.
I don't yet have HD, so am not aware if the problem is more prevalent on it.  However, if it were a broadcaster problem, why would the Verizon reset have any effect on it.  As mentioned, the reset will improve the sync, just not make it 100%.  And then after a period of time, the sync degrades considerably.  So it would seem that although certain stations may be at fault, they're not the main cause.
Message Edited by speedo123 on 12-31-2008 11:42 AM
0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

This seems to be a problem at my house too.

I have TivoHD units with cablecards and they RECORD with the sound out of Sync when it is out of sync on the screen, so it is definitely the signal/av coming on the FIOS line.

Intersting is that Dish network sees it too, and actually put in a setting turning on 'Audio sync', which changes the a/v delay by about 150ms, doesn't really do anything else to fix it, just a band-aid

Message Edited by philhu on 12-31-2008 08:46 AM
0 Likes
cprgolds
Enthusiast - Level 3

My brother works in the broadcast industry and he says that the problem originates there.  I has to do with compression (and politics) and that the video and audio streams compress differently.  There are also ongoing disagreements on where the signal compression should occur.

The problem was very noticable (especially on NBC's Today Show) with DishNet.  Verizon may be adding to the synch problem, but they are definitely not creating it.

These two links may be of interest:

http://bradshaw-vacuum-technology.com/hdtv_compressed_digital_video_(cdv)_for_non_geeks.htm  (forum editor won't let me post this as a link)

http://columbiatribune.com/2008/Apr/20080422Busi010.asp

0 Likes