Volume Change with Verizon Marketing
meisalan

When ever a Verizon On Demand commercial comes on the volume shoots way up.  

Also, when a local companies commercial, one whos time slot would have been sold by a verizon marketing effort, and they are often directly following a Verizon On Demand add.

This occurs on SD and HD channels

Perhaps this is technically caused by a SD 2 channel versus HD 5.1 channel signal change.

However, for sure its marketing, its directly Verizon and they can do something about it.

It is extremely aggravating 

0 Likes
Re: Volume Change with Verizon Marketing
meisalan
Can anyone verify this happens to them?  Is there any 'fix'
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

No fix unless you have a tv/receiver that has an audio....Modifier (for lack of a better word). I know that Magnavox played around with this a few years ago. I dont know if they still do it or not. The tv's would attenuate the volume if the db's went above the set volume on the tv.

The higher volume on commercials and AD's are done purposely by both Verizon and many other advertisers. Some channels and programs are more likely to have this than some others but it is done purposely. In fact, this coming football season, keep an eye on the "special" games, like the Rose Bowl and the Super Bowl. You'll see it exaggerated even more than usual during these games. Both Fox and some of the advertisers will have the volume set for nearly double during the commercials.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@meisalan wrote:

When ever a Verizon On Demand commercial comes on the volume shoots way up.  

Also, when a local companies commercial, one whos time slot would have been sold by a verizon marketing effort, and they are often directly following a Verizon On Demand add.

This occurs on SD and HD channels

Perhaps this is technically caused by a SD 2 channel versus HD 5.1 channel signal change.

However, for sure its marketing, its directly Verizon and they can do something about it.

It is extremely aggravating 

Mute usually works for me but it's a pain. I too am tired of watching a show at a good volume level only to have the blasted commercial knock me out of my chair. It's not only Verizon but all of them. Rather &^%^ me off tooo.

Message Edited by prisaz on 08-21-2009 07:41 PM
0 Likes
regspeir

It is bad and getting WORSE!  Something has to happen.  I HEAR that Verizon says they are innocent and that "all the providers do it."  Bullcrap.  All the providers can NOT do it, then.  Or maybe just OUR provider can care enough to deal with it.  This is NOT something beyond their control.  Come on, Verizon.... don't you understand what normal volume suddenly jumping to LOUD {please keep your posts courteous} does to us? {please keep it relevant} Can't you just do it 'cause it makes sense and makes your customers happy? 

0 Likes
dbrennan
Enthusiast - Level 2

For what it's worth, it's not just Verizon.  I had exactly the same experience with DirecTV.  Let's assume for a minute that it is the fault of the advertisers - why in the world would they think that blasting someone out of their chair would result in that person wanting to buy their product or even listen to their commercial?  It's really stupid logic, I think.  I do use the mute key a lot.

0 Likes