Volume on TV is messed up after October Guide update
Marabele
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have Fios TV one hooked up by coax to a 4100 mini box.  Just received the new guide update and now when the TV is turned on the volume is crazy loud and the remote for the TV and the Fios STB do not control the volume.  Nothing works to lower volume, on either remote, not even the mute button. The only way to fix is to reset the STB while the TV is on and when it reboots the volume can be controlled.  The minute you turn the TV and STB off and then on again, volume is wicked loud and uncontrollable with either the STB or TV remote.

This guide update has rendered my tv useless.

Please help.

I have a samsung led tv that was working fine before the update. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Volume on TV is messed up after October Guide update
Marabele
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think that I have fixed the issue.  It was one or both of these things: 

1) I replaced the HDMI cable

2) I upgraded the firmware on the TV

The STB can be turned on and off without a change to the volume. 

Will report back if there are any issues moving forward.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Marabele wrote:

Have Fios TV one hooked up by coax to a 4100 mini box.  Just received the new guide update and now when the TV is turned on the volume is crazy loud and the remote for the TV and the Fios STB do not control the volume.  Nothing works to lower volume, on either remote, not even the mute button. The only way to fix is to reset the STB while the TV is on and when it reboots the volume can be controlled.  The minute you turn the TV and STB off and then on again, volume is wicked loud and uncontrollable with either the STB or TV remote.

This guide update has rendered my tv useless.

Please help.

I have a samsung led tv that was working fine before the update. 

Try un-pairing and re-pairing the remote to the box. You may have to set up your TV  manually in the voice remote menu.

Marabele
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did try re-pairing the remote using automatic pairing and manual by selecting my TV manufacturer.  No change

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Marabele wrote:

I did try re-pairing the remote using automatic pairing and manual by selecting my TV manufacturer.  No change

OK, if the TV remote can't control the volume of the TV you have an issue with the TV. Did it have a recent firmware update ? If you are not using a soundbar or AV receiver, the only thing that controls the volume IS the TV. The Fios box should be set to FIXED output in the audio options menu, it is NOT used to control the volume at all. About the only thing you can do with the Fios box is select Stereo output, or Dolby digital, and the level of compression the box applies to the signal. All the controls are in menu>settings>audio and video>audio. You should check the compression settings in the Fios box and try setting it to light. After that, check all the audio options in the TV, something there is not right like an option for start up volume that has changed.

Marabele
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only change has been the upgrade to the TV one STB software.  The TV is not connected and has not had any software updates.  This issue is directly related to the STB as resetting the box will correct the issue until the box is turned off and on again.  While I agree that the TV is the only thing that controls the volume, the STB renders the control useless.  I have the TV connected via HDMI cable and will replace the cable today to see if that does anything but the sound output from the TV is affected by the STB.  There is no pass through or exterior speaker being used.  One HDMI cable from STB to TV.

Marabele
Enthusiast - Level 2

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Marabele wrote:

The thing is the Fios box has a fixed audio output on both optical and HDMI outputs regardless of the setting for volume. That's why I suggested the TV was the issue. The firmware update seemed to fix the issue. I doubt the HDMI cable had any effect.  Hopefully that will be it!

BMR1

Same problem.  Removed the batteries from the remote, put them back in again, then resynched the remote to the TV.  All is working.  Upgrade did something with 4K?

0 Likes
Kishavetgirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having this issue as well, with ALL the remotes in the house. They either: don't turn the tv off/on, you can increase the volume but not lower it, the mute button won't work, etc.

This started as soon as my system was upgraded. There are other issues as well, but I'm just going to talk about the remote. This upgrade was complete DOWNGRADE, and they need to roll it back to it's settings prior to September/October 2020.

0 Likes