Volume slowly gets lower, then just silence.
BKILLGOAR

Just got my FIOS installed yesterday. 2 of my boxes work fine, but the main living room one has sound issues.

When I got home from work, the picture was fine, but there was no sound.

Figuring maybe I cabled the sound cables wrong, I took out the audio cables from the TV to cable box, and reinserted them. I then rebooted the Verizon box, and after it rebooted, sound returned to normal. After about 20 minutes of watching TV, I noticed the sound was slowly getting lower. I turned the sound all the way up to see if perhaps I have mistakenly hit the volume on the remote, but the sound only went up marginally, even though I turned it to max volume. After about 5 minutes, the sound went away again completely.

I repeated the first process to troubleshoot again, and got sound to work again. I only watched TV for 15 minutes, and had no issues. before turning TV off and going to bed last night.

When I woke up this morning, I turned on the TV and sound was gone again. I again tried to remove and put audio cables back in, rebooted the box, but now sound will not return. I know the cables from TV to box are OK as they worked on the last cable box I had and they were working after the cable box reboot before the sound slowly died.

Wasn't sure if I needed a new box? I did notice when the cable box was installed, it has a little bit of snow on it (from storm in Massachusetts) so I wasn't sure if maybe the water got in the box somehow and perhaps screwed with the volume piece.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Volume slowly gets lower, then just silence.
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

All sorts of possibilities.  You didn't say what type Verizon box, TV, and what type of connections.

• Check the audio settings on the stb/dvr. I recommend setting it to FIXED volume.  This leaves your TV to control the volume instead.
  • If only some channels, you may be trying to send dolby digital signals to a box that doesn't support them.  In that case you need to get in the hidden menu and make sure you set LPCM only.  For Motorola boxes, from on, hit the power (off) button on the box, then hit ok and menu button on the remote.  Timing is sometimes tricky but if you do it right you will see one of the hidden menus (user settings).  Down to additional hdmi settings and hit enter,  Down to audio output and hit enter until you see L-PCM.  Turn off and then on.
  • Check tv's settings (obviously varies by make)
0 Likes
BKILLGOAR

At work so not in front of it right now unfortunately so I'll have to try those steps when I get home.

-I did confirm it happens on all channels as that was something i checked to make sure it just wasn't some random station. No volume to any station.

- I did note that when i unhooked the audio cables and placed them back in, if I got a loud humming noise from the TV, that's when the resetting the box would resolve the volume issue. This morning I did not get any humming noise.

-The TV settings showed normal when I looked this morning before work.

I will try to see if I can get it work through TV rather than cable to resolve the issue as suggested. I will alos try the menu suggestions

I may also switch the box with another one in my house to se if it is indeed a TV issue or a box issue.

Thank you very much for your help 🙂

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3
you might also try using a DVD player or some other 3rd party equipment to see if sound works ok. This would test if it was a problem with the TV or not.
0 Likes
BKILLGOAR

I ended up switching my bedroom cable box with my downstairs one (the one that had volume issues) and both seem to be working perfectly fine now.

Not sure why one worked with the downstairs TV and one didn't but so be it, all I care about is that they work.

Thanks again for the help 🙂

0 Likes