WIll HDMI output cancel out other outputs on my HD set top box?
ProgRock
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Fios HD set top box is connected to my Panasonic plasma via HDMI. I then use the stereo analog output jacks on my TV to send sound to my receiver. The new Panasonic plasma TV I want to buy does not have stereo analog output jacks. So I want to use HDMI from my set top box to my TV (like I do now), but run analog stereo outputs from the set top box directly to my receiver. So my question is: Will the set top box block the RCA audio outputs if the HDMI is connected?

0 Likes
Re: WIll HDMI output cancel out other outputs on my HD set top box?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It should be fine, all the outputs are active simultaneously in the back of each set top box. 

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This will work no problem.  I do this today, but I use the digital coax output from the STB instead of the analog audio to send the audio over to my receiver while running the HDMI cable directly to the TV.  I also use the coax output of the STB to send a standard def signal to a small TV in the basement below my living room (so I don't need an additional STB) at the same time.

The only problem you might have might be sound sync -- particularly if you use the analog signal -- however, most TV's have a setting that allows you to offset the picture display by a few milliseconds to sync up the two if it turns out to be an issue.

0 Likes
ProgRock
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.

0 Likes