Watch DVR recordings while not connected to FIOS?
seancgn

I have a vacation home, and since I have 200 hours of recordings at my primary residence, I thought it would be nice to bring my DVR/Receiver with me and watch the recording there.  Unfortunately, I do not have FIOS at my vacation home (not available).

Can this be done?  I tried it once, and when I plugged in the unit, it seemed to keep searching for a connection, and would not just let me go to my recordings.

Anybody successfully do this?

0 Likes
Re: Watch DVR recordings while not connected to FIOS?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.  It's not possible to use the DVR "off network".  Theoretically, it will survive a network outage as long as it's not rebooted while in use, but the boot process of the box requires it to phone home from a FiOS connection.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Actually, there may be a way - not easy and not guaranteed.

You would have to have a UPS to run the box on that would keep it alive until you reached your vacation house.  But then the questionof hoe long a network outage the box would tolerate before requiring authorization.

Just a crazy idea, but you never know, it might just work.

0 Likes
seancgn

@Keyboards wrote:

Actually, there may be a way - not easy and not guaranteed.

You would have to have a UPS to run the box on that would keep it alive until you reached your vacation house.  But then the questionof hoe long a network outage the box would tolerate before requiring authorization.

Just a crazy idea, but you never know, it might just work.

Hmmmmm, clever.  That has my wheels turning.  I do have 115V power supply in my truck, and I have a long enough coaxial cable to run from the house to my truck, and "boot up" the unit in my truck.  If I then disconnect the cable and leave it plugged in for the trip, it might stay "live" for the trip.

But once I get to my other house, I don't see any way of switching to the local power supply without interruption.  I wonder if it could be unplugged for say 30 seconds, and not have to go through the whole reboot process if I get it plugged in quick enough.

Worth a try.  Thanks for the idea!

This is really ashame FIOS is set up like this.  Both of my old Direct TV and Dish Network receivers would both allow me to watch recordings even if it wasn't plugged into the service.

0 Likes