Watch TV on my Computer
TheBloodman

For Father's day , I got a TV Tuner card for my WINDOWS 7 computer. It has Windows Media Center built in so I don't need a stand alone app (or do I?) I then got the digital adapter so they could work. Well, it didn't. The tuner card had no remote or IR Blaster so I sent both back. What is the correct way to set this up so I can watch TV on my computer and turn it into a second DVR? Does anyone have this type of set up working right now? If so, which equipment would you suggest.

Thanks!!

0 Likes
Re: Watch TV on my Computer
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of options:

1) Buy a TV Tuner card that has IR blaster. Here is one vendor: http://www.hauppauge.com/index.htm

You can also use this card to record unencrypted channels (just your local channels).

2) Or find a cablecard compatible card. Here is one vendor: http://www.cetoncorp.com/products.php

I believe ATI makes a card as well.

I dont have this setup myself but do read that a few people do. Check this forum to see what people have done: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiostv

0 Likes
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

@TheBloodman wrote:

For Father's day , I got a TV Tuner card for my WINDOWS 7 computer. It has Windows Media Center built in so I don't need a stand alone app (or do I?) I then got the digital adapter so they could work. Well, it didn't. The tuner card had no remote or IR Blaster so I sent both back. What is the correct way to set this up so I can watch TV on my computer and turn it into a second DVR? Does anyone have this type of set up working right now? If so, which equipment would you suggest.

Thanks!!

No you do not a stand alone app.  The WMC program in Win 7 works with FIOS.  The version that was incuded in Vista did not. 

You need to be able to set the Tuner to the channel  that you want to record at the correct time.  There are basically 2 ways to do this:  1. Set the Tuner in the PC or 2. Set the Tuner in the FIOS Box.

To do 1.  You either need to have your FIOS Coax cable connected directly to the PC Tuner (QAM capable).  You would then be able to record only 'Clear Qam 'FIOS channels.  As this input is digital you would get any HD channels available.  Or have a PC Tuner with a MCard slot such as the Ceton Infini that the other poster mentioned which cost $400 and won't be available until the end of this month.

To do 2. You need to have the IR blaster you mentioned to change the Tuner in the FIOS box/adapter.  Also if you are using the digital adapter, you will not get HD as the output is analog.  You will also not get HD if you use the coax output on a HD FIOS Box , as that output is also analog.  To get HD you will need to have a HDMI input on the PC tuner card and use the HDMI output on the FIOS box to connect it.

I do 1, Clear QAM with Windows 7 WMC using a Hauppage HVR-1800 tuner Card. I don't use the IR Blaster (it has one) because the card doesn't have a HDMI input and I don't want to be restricted to analog.  I live in the NY Metro area and there are quite a few clear QAM channels available.  I only use it occassionaly, however..  This is an older card that was in the PC when I got it. I wouldn't suggest for you to use it .  I would suggest waiting.  The Ceton Infini card is a 4 tuner card.  To the best of my knowledge, it is the 1st installable TV Tuner with its own card slot.  They will most likely release a cheaper 2 tuner card after getting this one out.  Other companies will surely follow.

0 Likes
SHARKMAN44
Contributor - Level 1

So correct me if I'm wrong but

I would remove the cable from the router

apply a splitter to that cable and connect one of the splits to the router and the other to the tv tuner card?

thanks

sharkman

0 Likes
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

@SHARKMAN44 wrote:

So correct me if I'm wrong but

I would remove the cable from the router

apply a splitter to that cable and connect one of the splits to the router and the other to the tv tuner card?

thanks

sharkman

Yes, If you want 'Clear QAM', it's what I did except I don't split it off from the cable into the router.  I split it off one of the feeds to a STB, but I can't think of any reason why it would matter where you split it as your signal strength is within the proper range.   Make sure you use a 2-way digital splitter with a range of 5 -1000MhZ.  

0 Likes
SHARKMAN44
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks...

sharkman

0 Likes
TheBloodman

Thanks for the response.

0 Likes
prashantakerkar

Thank you.

Requirement

------------------

Record our Favorite TV Channels Programs on our Digital Video Disk (DVD) using USB TV Tuner Card

We should be able to Record our Favorite TV Channels Programs on our Digital Video Disk (DVD) with our USB TV Tuner Card.

Steps

Purchase USB TV Tuner Card Product from the vendor.
When we view the TV Programs on Laptop with the USB TV Tuner Card product
what will be the next step for recording / playback on the USB/CD/DVD Media ?.

The Remote control Software program provided with the Product has a recording push button which will allow us to record on the Pen Drive kept in another USB Slot or DVD media Kept in DVD Drive of the Laptop and later on we can play those recorded specific channels programs we selected viz Music, Sports, News etc  ?.

i.e USB TV Tuner Card connected to the Laptop comes with the Remote control software program which will have a Push Button for Recording and Playback. The Cable is connected to TV Tuner Card, TV Tuner Card is connected to the Laptop.

Now the Digital Video Disk (DVD) is kept in the DVD Drive of the Laptop. When Recording Button is clicked on the Remote Control, the Recording should start, When Stop Button is clicked on the Remote Control, the Recording should stop. When Play Button is clicked on the Remote Control, The DVD inside the DVD Drive opens with DVD Player Software Program in the Laptop and plays the Recorded Program.

Here how we will interface USB TV Tuner Card with DVD Drive so that the Recording can be done in DVD kept in the DVD Drive ? Is it Possible through Software provided by the TV Tuner Card Vendor  for interfacing with the DVD Drive ?

Is this Functionality Complex to built ?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

0 Likes