Watch an HD recording on my SD tv and HD box.
Bwangster12

So I have a Multi Room DVR in my living room with a variety of HD recordings.  I was under the impression that I could watch a HD recording on the HD box I have on my SD TV in my bedroom.  I understand it would not be actual HD picture, but was hoping it would just be downgraded to look like it does if I put on an HD channel.  You know, the picture is smaller, but perfectly watcheable.

When I try to play an HD recording, the entire picture is scrambly with different colors.  Am I missing something?

0 Likes
Re: Watch an HD recording on my SD tv and HD box.
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

What's the connection between the STB and the TV?  Component, Composite, RF, etc.?   If you're using component (three video and two audio), try using a composite (one video, two audio), Svideo, or RF connection from the STB to the TV. 

0 Likes
Bwangster12

I'm 99% sure I am using component cables to connect the box to the TV.  

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since composite can handle higher resolution signals, the STB may be attempting to output at that higher resolution and confusing your TV.   Using one of the other methods is limited to SD resolutions so the box automatically adjusts for this.

There might be an option in the system menu or the hidden power on menu to force the output to always be in 480i SD, so that might be another way to fix it.  

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

My bedroom TV is an old SD TV and I have an HD box so I do exactly what you want.    The connection from the TV and Box is coax and works fine.  Have you tried to use a coax connection?

0 Likes