Watch out for iPhone Data Plan Port Blocking
davidrousseau
I have purchased and returned 2 CCTV DVRs that worked fine for about 12 hours with remote viewing via iPhone, only to find out the new DVR works, then remote viewing suddenly says unable to reach host.

I was showing people at work how well this worked yesterday, but it quit working around one or two PM. When I got home, the Dvr displayed fine when going through Comcast to access my remote IP address, but as soon as I switched to 3G, the connection times out.

Using an iPhone port scanner, it shows my port as blocked. The ONLY change to the configuration was using the Verizon 3G network.

I see on the CCTV forums that other people have had remote viewing work "for a day" and then it quits. Many blame the viewing app or the DVR, but I'm going to work this through the major a counts group at a large company I work for, which is rapidly expanding their iPhone and iPad business.

Call it throttling or blocking, but my connection that had worked was suddenly refused, and I was about to buy a 700 dollar DVR when I decided to spend 10 bucks on networking tools.

I do not have a solution yet, but if Verizon wants to limit my unlimited data, they should at least admit it. This issue will be critical to my company that is projecting purchases of at least 20,000 iPads, and AT&T is competing for the business, and will likely wipe out Verizon, which has been a problem from a major account standpoint.

The SME making all the long calls to Verizon sits in the next cube, so he gets to hear me complain tomorrow
0 Likes
Re: Watch out for iPhone Data Plan Port Blocking
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Please note you posted this in the FIOS Internet/TV/Phone forums. 

Please repost your message on the Verizon Wireless Forums located at:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/welcome/

0 Likes